2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year again to part with some cash, I have a renewal quote but want to see if I can get it cheaper. I need an insurer who allows modifications but doesn't charge every time I call them to make changes, although power mods I know will increase my premium. I'm 48 with full everything, renewal quote is just shy of £400 and I would have thought I should be paying less than this?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Most of them charge nowadays, best bet is put all your details and mods into a couple of comparison sites and see what they come up with, or check online with your present insurer and see what their quote is with all the discounts they offer for new customers

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I’m 51, with Greenlight. £399 a year with mods allowed up to 250bhp before I need to discuss price again. Every none power mod such as wheels, spoilers, wheel spacers etc you just go online and enter the details and they add them free of charge, with power mods you ring them and if within the 250bhp they add for free too.

Reactions: tricky70 and flashy

·
Super Moderator
21,003 Posts
The thing with insurance is that you want them there when you need them.

You also don't want them pulling fast ones or upping your next premium because you phoned them direct with a query (and some do).

I nearly went with one of the insurers here but the quote was only a few pounds cheaper than my current insurer and the 2 insurance companies they said they would likely use both have abysmal 1 star online reviews which put me off.

With comparison sites, they cut cover to ensure they appear in your top 5 hits as these are the ones people tend to go with = read the small print very carefully.

I would use one here before a comparison site.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
sky and a-plan i've used with success. not sure if they charge for mid-term ammendments though. I dont recall Sky adding a premium other than what it would of cost in the first place.
i'd go back to sky for road-only insurance. unfortunately they dont have competitive track cover (£200-250/1 day), so A-plan it was (£250/5 days).

i tend to have an idea of what i'm wanting to do with the car over the next year, so i tend to declare mods in advance just to save forgetfulness or unexpected hikes.

·
Super Moderator
1,283 Posts
It's that time of year again to part with some cash, I have a renewal quote but want to see if I can get it cheaper. I need an insurer who allows modifications but doesn't charge every time I call them to make changes, although power mods I know will increase my premium. I'm 48 with full everything, renewal quote is just shy of £400 and I would have thought I should be paying less than this?
I'm a bit older and got my FN2 insured with Directline @ £233 with protected NCD & legal cover.
Car is totally standard so don't know what they will do with your mods.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Just renewed for a third year with A Flux...price was same as last year...tried to get a quote from Chris Nott but after twice responding to an email for a call back,and also a follow up email,never had phone call or email back so went with AF again..:smile3:

·
i-Vtec
2,567 Posts
Last year I paid both car insurances in full, wondered if this may make the renewal more competitive as they cant slip in the Auto Renew option. Got the wifes renewal through there a week ago. Nah. Up in price and £60 more expensive than taking out a new policy through Direct line on Compare the market.com.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
I remember the days that the longer you stayed with a insurance company, the more discount you got for being a loyal supporting customer.. These days you have to shop around and jump from one insurance company to another...
Best of it is, to renew your existing quote - it costs are silly.. but if you go online with the same company - same details, the cost is alot less... seems a little backward to me :)

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Yep, and in some cases quite a lot cheaper. More confusing is when you phone them an tell them this, they sometimes can not match the online price over the phone so you have to cancel and go to the online quote???
Unbelievable!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
When mine came up for renewal i had an online quote from the same company a lot cheaper. I phoned the company and the lass on the phone said, if i renew with her today she would match the price and, after checking all the details came back with a lower price.
When i asked why renew it with her today, below internet price, the reply was that she would get commission and i would pay an even lower price.:smile3:

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,307 Posts
The business models most insurers adopt these days is ridiculous. I was with Direct Line a while back for mine and Mrs T's Car, Home insurance and Pet Insurance. Never ever mad an Insurance claim and been driving for almost 30yr and they put my premium up on the 1.6 from £290 which I thought pricey to £750. Then they did similar with Home, Pet and the Mrs so dumped them and found a much better deal. Direct Line obviously didn't want my custom but when I check with them today as my renewal was due as a new customer, they were £250? Wouldn't go with them again out of principal.

P.S It was Direct Line I dumped not the Mrs and the Pet

·
Vendor
380 Posts
Have you given us a try yet Flashy? We'd be happy to offer a price for comparison.

best,
Nick

·
i-Vtec
2,567 Posts
The business models most insurers adopt these days is ridiculous. I was with Direct Line a while back for mine and Mrs T's Car, Home insurance and Pet Insurance. Never ever mad an Insurance claim and been driving for almost 30yr and they put my premium up on the 1.6 from £290 which I thought pricey to £750. Then they did similar with Home, Pet and the Mrs so dumped them and found a much better deal. Direct Line obviously didn't want my custom but when I check with them today as my renewal was due as a new customer, they were £250? Wouldn't go with them again out of principal.

P.S It was Direct Line I dumped not the Mrs and the Pet

What annoys me is you get your renewal through and its gone up by £60. You do an online search and get it back to where you were with a new insurer. You phone up old insurer and tell them your taking your business elsewhere and they say "oh just a minute Ill see if I can get you a better price". No darling if you'd have wanted my repeat business you'd have given me the best price first time around!!!!

·
i-Vtec
2,567 Posts
The point is CNI, why do your current insurers generally come back with a lower price when you phone them?
I think its because most people just pay by monthly direct debit, they get the renewal 1st week of the month prior to renewal, and say they will sort it out nearer the time and then forget about it. By the time they remember its all ready auto renewed. If even only 3 or 4 people forget about it in every ten that works out at hundreds of thousands of pounds extra every month for the insurance company. The law of averages suggest that when people leave one insurance company they just, naturally, move to another, so the customers they lose on one hand they gain as other take out a policy with them as they leave another company. Personally if it rose by £10 or so I most likely wouldn't bother shopping around, but when your taking 25% who wouldn't shop around?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts