2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a HONDA CIVIC 5DR 2.2iCTDi SPT bought from new in Aug 2006. Up until about 1 wk ago it had been flawless but last weekend I noticed reduced engine power in 3rd gear at 1500rpm, outside of this rev range there was no problem. On Thursday evening the problem worsened and the engine power was so low driving was not possible. I pulled over to the side of the road and the car was switched off and left to stand for 5 mins. After a stuttering start it finally got going again but with reduced power. I took it to my local HONDA garage on Friday (the next day) and after a diagnostics check they said they couldn’t find anything wrong but they changed the fuel filter as a precaution. Whilst driving yesterday (Saturday) the same problem arose. A summary of the problem is:
Car starts from cold Ok.
Whilst driving round town it has reduced power at 1500 rpm (particularly noticeable in 3rd gear)
With continued driving round town eventually the power is so low I have to stop and wait.
I find this quite strange, I suspect it might be a fuel delivery problem but I’m disappointed HONDA didn’t fix it on Friday.
If any one could help at all this would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I have a HONDA CIVIC 5DR 2.2iCTDi SPT bought from new in Aug 2006. Up until about 1 wk ago it had been flawless but last weekend I noticed reduced engine power in 3rd gear at 1500rpm, outside of this rev range there was no problem. On Thursday evening the problem worsened and the engine power was so low driving was not possible. I pulled over to the side of the road and the car was switched off and left to stand for 5 mins. After a stuttering start it finally got going again but with reduced power. I took it to my local HONDA garage on Friday (the next day) and after a diagnostics check they said they couldn’t find anything wrong but they changed the fuel filter as a precaution. Whilst driving yesterday (Saturday) the same problem arose. A summary of the problem is:
Car starts from cold Ok.
Whilst driving round town it has reduced power at 1500 rpm (particularly noticeable in 3rd gear)
With continued driving round town eventually the power is so low I have to stop and wait.
I find this quite strange, I suspect it might be a fuel delivery problem but I’m disappointed HONDA didn’t fix it on Friday.
If any one could help at all this would be gratefully appreciated.
I don't know if this is valid for the civic but I know it is a possibility on some cars - is there a vent hole on the fuel fill cap which could get blocked, therefore causing a vacuum in the fuel tank? Try loosening the fuel filler cap and see if air rushes in.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Morning matey,

The description is a little vague; but you mentioned a lot of town driving
How often do you take it for 'blast'?? you know, making sure everything is properly warmed up and cleared out

The EGR valve can get clogged which will hamper performance, if it's not too bad you can give a good thrash to get it cleared out, sometimes it needs a physical clean if it's too bad

What's your air filter like ?
Which diesel do you use ?

Does it go to limp mode and limit the revs or it a physical loss of power?

Reactions: ian B2412

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If the fuel filter has been done, then my next bet would be on a stuck EGR valve - especially with city driving.

You can either replace with a new part, or we offer a software map that closes it permanently and eradicates the problem forever as part of a remap.

You could try cleaning it, but they are sealed inside and you are unlikely to free it up permanently, but always worth a shot if you have the tools and some time on your hands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your replies, I've had the car at my local HONDA garage for the past 2 days and they're still unable to diagnose the fault. They wanted to charge me £92 to tell me they didn't know what was wrong. I said that wasn't fair and then they changed their mind. They said they would exchange the EGR valve for a known good one and see if it solves the problem (£200) and if it does they'd then change it for a new one (£726). LOL. I've now taken the car to my local garage round the corner and the mechanic said he'd take a look at it and clean it if required. I'll keep you all posted on any progress. Many thanks once again for all your replies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the fuel filter has been done, then my next bet would be on a stuck EGR valve - especially with city driving.

You can either replace with a new part, or we offer a software map that closes it permanently and eradicates the problem forever as part of a remap.

You could try cleaning it, but they are sealed inside and you are unlikely to free it up permanently, but always worth a shot if you have the tools and some time on your hands.
Hi F6HAD,

What is the cost of the EGR remap?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi F6HAD,

I got your e-mail about the EGR remap. I can give you an update:
I've taken the car to a local mechanic, who I trust, and he's removed the EGR valve and cleaned it thoroughly befor replacing it. He's told me how it was clogged up quite badly. It drives better but it's still not right. There is still a problem at 1500 rpm, most noticable in 3rd gear where it chugs and stutters. Away from 1500 rpm it's fine. I'm not a motor mechanic so don't understand why a problem would present itself like this. Can you give me a little more detail on what a remap would entail? What it means for the car to have the EGR valve taken out of the system, why are they fitted if the car can do without them?

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
With all due respect to your mechanic, the EGR valves on these cars cannot be cleaned. They are a sealed unit. All he's probably cleaned is the inlet ports and whilst that will have helped, the underlying problem is still there.

EGR valves are designed to try and reduce emissions under load, they have no positive benefit to a diesel engine. Switching it off using our software will not affect your MOT however and many have gone through MOT without issue.

It's a no brainer mate, especially as you're having issues.

Bear in mind if it gets to a point where your EGR is physically jammed open, then even the software mod won't cure it as the software relies on the ability to keep the valve closed using the cars vacuum control.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With all due respect to your mechanic, the EGR valves on these cars cannot be cleaned. They are a sealed unit. All he's probably cleaned is the inlet ports and whilst that will have helped, the underlying problem is still there.

EGR valves are designed to try and reduce emissions under load, they have no positive benefit to a diesel engine. Switching it off using our software will not affect your MOT however and many have gone through MOT without issue.

It's a no brainer mate, especially as you're having issues.

Bear in mind if it gets to a point where your EGR is physically jammed open, then even the software mod won't cure it as the software relies on the ability to keep the valve closed using the cars vacuum control.
Thanks F6HAD,
What you say about cleaning the inlet ports only and still having the underlying problem sounds very plausable. The car is running better but it's still not right. I'm still considering what to do next. I guess I could take it on a long motorway run at the weekend and see if that helps, replace the valve for a new one or have it mapped out. I'll take the next couple of days to decided. Thanks again. Ian

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI f6had ** this is the first time posting on here, my name is Abid i bought my civic 2.2 ctdi ex in dec 2009 and it had 105000 miles on the clock and the last service was 98000 it had been running perfectly till my last service which i had done by a local garage in aug 11, I brought all the parts from honda except the engine oil which was from halfords castrol edge ow-30, A month later i started to have problem it would lose all power unexpectedly even if i put the foot down it will not exceed over 5mph, then would i have to park it on the side and wait till it gives a popping kind of bang sound then all power to the car is back to normal.
please ** i dont know what to do about this problem could you give me some advice or help to sort this problem out Thanks ** hope to hear from you soon

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hello Abid, are you sure they fitted your fuel filter? It's quite an awkward job, and I wouldn't put it past a garage that hasn't done one before to just say it's been done, and not do it. The popping could be fuel starvation due to dirt in the fuel system.. Or it may be a sticking EGR valve. These are the common most problems on the ictdi in my opinion. Are you getting any engine warning lights?

Best give me a call or drop me an email, details on the site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for replying
You are right he did not know the filters loction,I showed him.
there is no engine warning lights.I tell you more when i park on the side,i rev the car full but 1500 to 2000rpm car shaks, i keep reving and switch on and off after good 15 min then i heard a popping sound, then power is back.

·
Dervinator
1,349 Posts
I don't know if this is valid for the civic but I know it is a possibility on some cars - is there a vent hole on the fuel fill cap which could get blocked, therefore causing a vacuum in the fuel tank? Try loosening the fuel filler cap and see if air rushes in.
Which reminds me of a little event that occurred to me in a 3.0s Capri around 1986.

I took a couple of "female friends" to see one of their mates in Shrewsbury which is quite a hike from Peterborough. Whilst there I did the usual dickheadedness and did a burnout which did not end well. The car spluttered to a halt and wouldn't restart. Cranking the engine over gave the impression there was no compression.

Now I've had that issue on an older V6 Ford before. Basically there is no cambelt on this engine, the cam being driven by a large fibre cog directly intertwining with a steel cog on the crank. What sometimes happens is about six fibre teeth get stripped off which invariably puts the cam opening the valves at the incorrect time. (No compression)

Back in those days, little "discrepancies" were accounted for. If that happened in todays vehicles all the valves would be bent.

Anyway, I deducted that's what had happened and called my bro up in Peterborough. He drove all the way to Shrewsbury in his 1.3 Astra estate (original X reg) and towed me all the way back to P'boro.

So I stripped out the front end.. Radiator out.. pulleys off, front cover off... Only to find said Fibre wheel perfectly intact ???

Ok.. Back to basic mechanics 101

Is there a spark ---> yes (Luminition)
Is there fuel in the carbs --- > kind of (although the fuel tank IS full)

Splash neat fuel into the carbs and crank her over..

Vrooom ---> then cuts out

Ok.. So it IS fuel related. Pull feed out of fuel pump off.. fuel only trickling out..

Finally checked fuel cap... schmooof as vacuum released. The damn breather in the fuel cap was blocked.

Bah!

True story Bro !!

·
The D is for Dave
286 Posts
I'll take the next couple of days to decided. Thanks again. Ian
Hi Ian, managed to get out and has it solved your problem? I get this exact same thing, 1500 revs in 3rd is really noticable, a kind of clutch juddering but smooth and without the other signs that come with it being a dodgy clutch.

After doing a lot of reading, I reckon mine is the EGR valve as at 1500rpm the turbo isn't doing a lot but then engine is asking of a bit more air than it can get from the usual methods so it's pulling more through the EGR. So because it's getting more 'dirty' air the engine isn't working as efficiently as it should causing the decrease in power in the 1500 rev range.

I do mostly town driving, but when I do get chance to really warm things up and give the system a good work out it does smooth off a fair bit. It doesn't bother me really so I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Oh yeah, might be paying you a visit when that happens! Until then I've told myself no remap until I've got an fmic and ramair ;)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.