2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
PNE Supporter
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having bought what I thought was the Civic for me after loooking at 5 others, I purchased my 10 month old Civic Sport 2.2 i-CDTI from a car supermarket.

However, after finding there was a knocking noise from the front of the car, I booked it into the local Honda dealer under warranty.

They suggested the bump stops were loose (yellow ones) that needed replacing so I took it in today for fixing. Imagine my surprise when they told me the oil filler cap wasn't original, the top engine stabilising mount bolt was sheared (having been fit with a non standard bolt & to fix was £350) & the engine serial number was not the original fit!!

My invoice states the original engine serial number, so what I have got fitted? The current engine serial number is 1.77 million lower than the original one & Honda can't trace where it came from (another car or off the shelf?).

I've contacted the car supermarket straight away & am waiting to be contacted by their service manager. I feel I should I reject the car & demand a full refund as it's only 12 days since I paid for it. It was not described correctly on the paperwork I received.

Any other advice?

·
Administrator
19,169 Posts
Oh good God, I really feel for you :eek:

I would play holy hell with the car supermarket you bought it from and reject the car. Contact trading standards and make sure the car supermarket know you have contacted trading standards.

I would also take legal advice on your rights on this issue and get EVERYTHING in writing as proof.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
I would reject it.

I would be surprised if the Car Supermarket gives you any trouble doing so either.

They may insist on replacing it though. But best to wait and see what the service manager comes back with and then post it on here.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
There's some useful info here: Consumer Direct

Its worth checking your home insurance to see if you pay for Family Legal Protection as this often provides legal assistance

Timing is critical so it's best to act sooner rather than later, also if you you purchased the car on finance the you may have additional rights against the finance company

·
PNE Supporter
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No finance involved, so not an avenue I can follow.

I'll wait till lunch tomorrow for a reply, if none, I'll ring & inform them I'm sending a recorded letter stating the reasons for rejecting the vehicle & giving them 14 days to refund me.

Trouble is they're not local (over 100 miles away), so it's a bit of a pain to sort out.

·
Administrator
19,169 Posts

I'll wait till lunch tomorrow for a reply, if none, I'll ring & inform them I'm sending a recorded letter stating the reasons for rejecting the vehicle & giving them 14 days to refund me.

Trouble is they're not local (over 100 miles away), so it's a bit of a pain to sort out.
I really do hope you sort it out but do get legal advice from a solicitor so that your case is water tight, won't you?

·
Jayne here too!!
676 Posts

I'd get them to pick the car up!! Make out that you 2do not feel safe driving it as you are concerned for your safety"!!!!

Jayne x

·
PNE Supporter
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm keeping a diary of events & the dealer is willing to speak to them to explain their findings, so hopefully don't need a solictor yet.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
I'd get them to pick the car up!! Make out that you 2do not feel safe driving it as you are concerned for your safety"!!!!

Jayne x

That is a good point. Even Honda can't tell you the exact history of the car, so who's to say what it has been through.

·
Jayne here too!!
676 Posts
Could be a 'cut n shut' or anything you never know what people get up too!!!!! I would totally refuse to drive it to them, plus point out the fact that if you did you then wouldnt have a vehicle to drive back in!!!

If they say you will have to buy another car from them just refuse and say that you have lost all faith in them!!

Jayne x

·
PNE Supporter
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could be a 'cut n shut' or anything you never know what people get up too!!!!! I would totally refuse to drive it to them, plus point out the fact that if you did you then wouldnt have a vehicle to drive back in!!!

If they say you will have to buy another car from them just refuse and say that you have lost all faith in them!!

Jayne x
Understand your logic, but will they refund my full tank of diesel though :roll:

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Have you contacted the police? I would, let them make some enquiries it could be stolen and/or illegally altered as suggested above.... a cut and shut. They may send an expert to evaluate the vehicle.

Tom

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
I tried this with my 07 Cooper S , its not easy . Your gonna need a lawyer.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
That sounds like it's had some serious frontal damage.

I don't trust these car supermarkets. They have been on Watchdog more than once.

There's one around London with 3 branches and everytime they get serious negative press they change their name.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Legal advice.

Like others have said do take legal advice to make sure you do things by the book at every turn. Failure to follow the right procedure could prove to be a very very expensive mistake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine came from a car supermarket. Cheap and matched spec I was looking for but its a horrid buying experience.

Good luck getting it taken back - I wouldnt hold breath on their customer service 'phoning you back'. They are notoriously tricky to do anything once the deal has been done. I think you will need a lawyer too...:(

·
PNE Supporter
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did not recieve a reply by late morning so have now rung up & stated I want to reject the car & receive a full refund.

I also require them to pick the car up from my house as I'm unsure of it's safety.

They have escalated it to the manager & I am waiting for a call.
I will follow up with a recorded delivery letter stating my reasons for the rejection this afternoon.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts