2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I made a thread in the general section regarding my 2007 Civic 1.8 EX which sadly failed a couple of bits and pieces on its recent MOT. I wanted to get some of the basic issues sorted myself and was planning to get a garage to replace the front shock absorber... However, having watched a couple of YouTube videos I think it is probably within my capabilities. But would love some advice / assistance in terms of checking exactly what I'd need in advance.

- I understand you can no longer purchase a 'complete assembly' so would need a coil compression device. This I realise could potentially be a dangerous operation if not done carefully and I'd have to buy the tool as I don't own one. Best value (within reason) option for this tool that I'll probably only use the one time...?

- Which supplier / brand part(s) should I consider? There seem to be a fair few available but I'm not looking for anything modded or performance orientated. Due to the age and condition of the vehicle I'd really just like the best value to get it through the MOT.

If anyone has any advice, caveats, general things I should know and consider I'd really appreciate the input.

Thanks again all!

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
for shocks go here, get Sachs as they are the brand Honda use:

these guys are UK distributor for Sachs and I have used them for both my cars, best to ring them to make sure of part numbers/stock

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
890 Posts
You would be correct, replacing the suspension assembly is a matter of undoing a number of bolts and swapping items over and reassembling. All quite straightforward with basic tools. There are a number of How To guides on the forum with a quick search (changing springs for example), otherwise there is an online manual that most would point you to that comes with suggested bolt torques etc. (fn2workshop.co.uk - needs to be opened in Internet Explorer)

Tools needed,

Socket set / spanners
Torque wrench
Spring compressor
Needle nose pliers (or strong fingers)

Parts,

Dampers (Sachs are OEM, reasonably priced)
Springs (if replacing too)
Top mounts (worthwhile doing unless recently replaced)
Drop links (may be damaged trying to remove them)

New springs and top mounts with your new dampers would save you the hassle of separating the old ones, obviously, making for a quick swap as you can assemble your new parts before getting started on the car.

·
i-Vtec
4,918 Posts
I have these ones, used them a few times now and work ok for me.

Best Value? KYB, Monroe to name but two. You will also most likely need two new drop links as they are pretty much always seized.

Top tip? When you remove the strut always support the brake disc under the hub and not under disc. If you don't the hub flops forward, and can pull the CV apart at the gearbox side. Its a PITA to try to get back in on your own.

Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Alloy wheel

While your down there id replace the ARB Bushes too, they are literally £12 a pair from Honda. Have a look and see what size you need, its stamped on the outside of the bush.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

I've put together the list of parts I think I need - following SilverCider's advice above I'm going to go down the route of replacing more than just the shock absorber on its own. If anyone could quickly check my list and comment if I'm paying too much / buying from a bad place or anything that'd be really useful:

1) Spring Compressor (Pair) ~£13 from the ebay link above.

2) ARB Brushes (Pair) ~£10 also from link above.

3) Shock Absorber / Damper (each) (Shock Absorbers ) ~£40-50 each so £80-100 total.. I need to call these guys as advised and their site does not seem to list Civic? Only Accord and Concerto. How do I check I'm getting the correct part number?

4) Spring / Coil (each) (https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/sachs/1234371 ) ~£30 each, so £60 for pair. Again is there a resource where I can check the 2007 Civic part numbers?

5) Top mount (each) (For Honda Civic FK 06-11 Front Top Strut Upper Shock Absorber Mounting Bearing | eBay ) ~£30 each so £60 for pair - these seem expensive to me for what they are?

6) Drop Links (need pair?) (https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/car-brands/spare-parts-honda/civic-viii-hatchback-fn-fk/19241/10677/twist-rod.html?criteria[100]=VA ) ~£10 each. Assume I need a pair of these also?

Total cost ~£260.

Thanks all - looking to order everything today. But don't want to make any mistakes in haste and your advice has been invaluable so far.

EDIT:

Found this for part numbers:

Have called the Sachs supplier but they are having to search for them and calling me back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a post awaiting moderation - I think because I included web links.

The bad news is that the Sachs shock absorbers from the distributor that Wilmo mentioned are not in stock and won't be delivered to me to ~2-3weeks, start of December. I really can't wait that long, was hoping to find something in stock. MY MOT re-test is due next Thursday so if I could beat that deadline I save the re-test fee.

Can someone recommend a decent alternative?

Thanks and sorry for all my posting today. I've got some free time so looking to get things ordered ASAP.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts

The bad news is that the Sachs shock absorbers from the distributor that Wilmo mentioned are not in stock and won't be delivered to me to ~2-3weeks, start of December. I really can't wait that long, was hoping to find something in stock. MY MOT re-test is due next Thursday so if I could beat that deadline I save the re-test fee.

Thanks and sorry for all my posting today. I've got some free time so looking to get things ordered ASAP.
There are other UK suppliers who sell Sachs shocks.

I got mine off eBay when I searched for the part numbers. Careful the parts are Sachs and not Boge which might be the same part number but made in a different factory. Arguably cheaper quality although they'll tell you they are the same.

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts

you may be able to get them from Eurocarparts but at about twice the price of MCS who sell to the public at trade prices

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I managed to get them and the springs from 'buycarparts.co.uk' price was actually cheaper than what MCS quoted me... Perhaps the prices were higher than usual due to not being in stock? Anyway, hopefully everything arrives in time for me to fit before Thurs... Undoubtedly I'll be back asking for help during the fitting process :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You are both correct the parts arrived today in boxes labelled 'Auto Doc'. I'm just happy they have arrived in time. Fitting now. One thing that is happening is the nut on the ARB is turning but I can't get to the back to hold the other end of the bolt in place as there is a plastic/rubber casing... Any ideas? Have briefly stopped before investigating too much myself so thought I'd post here quickly. Thanks all!

EDIT: Nevermind - I see there is a hex type hole in the middle to undo while holding the nut.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: The inside hex part of the bolt is very rusted and I might have f**ked it trying to take it off. Was undoing nicely using an Alan key inside, but now the inner hole is rather circular looking! :/

Head Eye Wood Terrestrial animal Toad

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Update: The inside hex part of the bolt is very rusted and I might have f**ked it trying to take it off. Was undoing nicely using an Alan key inside, but now the inner hole is rather circular looking! :/

View attachment 322286

Any ideas?
That is a drop link, NOT the ARB.

The Anti Roll Bar is literally that, a bar under the car that goes between the two struts. They are held on by two metal attachments which in turn are held on by two 17mm bolts if I remember.

Anyway, yes you have completely f**ked up that side sadly. Do not try the other side.

Now you've got a few options, since you're replacing the entire strut then all you need to do is remove the lower from the ARB, as the top is largely irrelevant since it'll be thrown away anyway.

Some angle grind it off, however I smashed the back out of the drop link then I managed to get a bolt remover onto one side and a socket on the other to release it.

Go out and buy yourself a blow torch. Burn the $hit out of the other drop link then it'll remove with the regular allen key/socket easily. I did that side's entire strut removal and install in an hour compared to the countless ones with the broken droplink issue...

Almost everyone will have issues with the OEM drop links as they are badly designed, the centre rounds off and ends up spinning uselessly. The aftermarket ones I've got have a more sensible flat at the back where a spanner can be inserted.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I smashed mine out without an angle grinder.

Used a mixture of a file, hammer, reverse grip sockets and heat.

But it took hours. I'd have saved time going to Speedy Hire to get an angle grinder.. Although I'm not comfortable using such tools!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts