2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Reliability - What Car - Civics not living up to their reputation

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  onepointeightveetec 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Each different set of reviews give different results. My 9G Civic has only been back to dealers for annual servicing as it's had zero problems in almost 8 years.

I'm always suspicious about car magazine reviews as they are often driven by advertising revenue. I'd rather trust independent reviews.

#4 ·
There's no context to that survey though. What did they base it on? What was the breakdown of people that responded? They've reported the previous gen BMW1 series the most reliable, then put up a picture of the MY20 version? If 100 civic owners responded and 10 said they had issues its hardly a comprehensive survey. TBH you don't really see Gen9 owners complaining about anything specific on these pages, I mean broken manifold threads abound on the Gen8 diesel as do roof rust. Anyone know what the most usually reported Gen9 fault is of the top of their head? I know infotainment is not the best but anything mechanical or electrical come to mind?

#6 ·
Similarly, nothing has gone wrong with mine except for the Satnav unit which I replaced myself. I simply change the engine oil once a year and periodically change the front pads & rotors which I consider routine maintenance.
It does concern me when I hear of all the problems others are having with their DPFs though. although I have never had any or even knowingly experienced a regen......

#9 ·
p0420 error, does not let zou in the middle of the road mz friend. It just does not produce as non polluted gasses as it should do, so this error occurs so as not to run the car for ever and damage catalysts.
From the other had, the real polluted numbers which honda announces is very close to reality. In contrary. other brands produce x50 times more harmful particles, than the ones they present in the official numbers. Does diesel gate says anything to you? Chech for the french official test to all brands and see the truth.
Anyway, its your money and your choice to use italian cars if u like, but not if - when you stay in the middle of the road with your engine not able to start, you will remember me :))

#10 ·
When I bought my 2010 1.8 Si back in 2017 I asked a mechanic what he thought of them - "only see them for servicing and brakes"
So I bought one and then followed it up with the FN2.
Only replaced the usual driver's rear ABS sensor so far outside of normal brakes & tyres.
FN2 has had new rear shock and PCV valve, both under warranty.

#11 ·
My choice was evidence led too. I bought a 1990 Japanese import Civic 2 seater and it served me well, doubling the miles in the process.

I've had Honda bikes which have never let me down.

I like the Honest John reviews, and it had a positive review on the 1.6 8 idtec, most importantly for me, it mentioned that the engine ran a chain cam, which means a lot to me, having liked the BMW 6 cylinder M57 engines which ran stratospheric miles for me too.

....let's see how this one goes. I guess it will be an electric one next...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#13 ·
195k on my Civic says it's reliable. Had to replace the interior blower motor on it on Saturday because that failed, but FFS, the car is fifteen years old. Looking to swap next year for the 2.2 iDTEC Civic. Was going the Accord route with the same engine in auto but the 240quid a year road tax put me off.

#17 ·
The latest edition of What Car, same magazine as the OP, has the 9G Civic in second position = with the Volvo V40.

Top is the Seat Leon.

Bottom of the reliability list is the Skoda Octavia, Merc A Class and the VW Golf diesel.

So what suddenly changes between issues ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.