2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had my 1.6 remapped since late august. Stage 1 remap: from 115hp to 159,5hp and 300nm to 385nm. Been driving around for 15.000km troublefree and I like it a lot. Prefer a good remap always over a tuningbox.
thank you very much for your replay my friend.
Going to get me a date with the etuners.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Stage 1 remap: from 115hp to 159,5hp and 300nm to 385nm. Been driving around for 15.000km troublefree
I know this might be a general/theoretical question, but: can the stock clutch handle that kind of boost? Weren't there some clutch problems on earlier Civics which had 2.2 diesel engine (with power and torque approximately halfway between stock 1.6 and your remap)?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I know this might be a general/theoretical question, but: can the stock clutch handle that kind of boost? Weren't there some clutch problems on earlier Civics which had 2.2 diesel engine (with power and torque approximately halfway between stock 1.6 and your remap)?
i remapped my 1.6 at about 110k miles (original clutch) now at about 125k miles or thereabouts, no issues at all. TBH i think the figures that celtic publish for torque may not be right - i have no dyno evidence to share just that having driven many other fast/ mapped cars it just doesn't feel as strong as the numbers would suggest it should. To be clear i'm sure celtic have done testing and i absolutely love the map, well worth doing, not disappointed at all, but it feels like a stock map just with a bit more go. It doesn't feel like its going to tear the front tyres off like some other mapped cars i've had, which is actually a good thing for clutch longevity.

hope that makes sense :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
My dad had this concern as well as he had tuned his 8th gen and did suffer from a slipping clutch. Me however, after 16.000km, no slipping at all (touch wood)

It also feels as the post above, not a tyreshredding tearing up the asphalt sensation but a more dynamic driving experience.

Now it's waiting for the eibach prokit to arrive... :cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
My dad had this concern as well as he had tuned his 8th gen and did suffer from a slipping clutch. Me however, after 16.000km, no slipping at all (touch wood)

It also feels as the post above, not a tyreshredding tearing up the asphalt sensation but a more dynamic driving experience.

Now it's waiting for the eibach prokit to arrive... :cool:
You will not be disappointed with the Eibach kit! Sorry just had to comment as I was having a browse through the posts and saw this - they are an absolute game changer in my opinion!

·
Registered
34 Posts
i remapped my 1.6 at about 110k miles (original clutch) now at about 125k miles or thereabouts, no issues at all. TBH i think the figures that celtic publish for torque may not be right - i have no dyno evidence to share just that having driven many other fast/ mapped cars it just doesn't feel as strong as the numbers would suggest it should. To be clear i'm sure celtic have done testing and i absolutely love the map, well worth doing, not disappointed at all, but it feels like a stock map just with a bit more go. It doesn't feel like its going to tear the front tyres off like some other mapped cars i've had, which is actually a good thing for clutch longevity.

hope that makes sense :)
Makes sense to me. I've had my 1.6 Dtec Civic remapped today, not by Celtic though. Fully agree with what you are saying. Mine is around the 160bhp now. Yes, it does pull a bit better but I can't feel an increase of 40bhp. I also had a Bluespark which I thought was ok. The remap obviously pulls better than the Bluespark but I don't think the clutch is going to see much more wear. The Civic does feel better though after remap and worth the £249 I paid.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Makes sense to me. I've had my 1.6 Dtec Civic remapped today, not by Celtic though. Fully agree with what you are saying. Mine is around the 160bhp now. Yes, it does pull a bit better but I can't feel an increase of 40bhp. I also had a Bluespark which I thought was ok. The remap obviously pulls better than the Bluespark but I don't think the clutch is going to see much more wear. The Civic does feel better though after remap and worth the £249 I paid.
The basic problem with remaps is that they increase the turbo pressure, using ecu and n75 boost valve, so make the turbo spool much faster every time we press the acceleration pedal. That wears the turbo faster. From the other side it makes the car a bit faster.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The basic problem with remaps is that they increase the turbo pressure, using ecu and n75 boost valve, so make the turbo spool much faster every time we press the acceleration pedal. That wears the turbo faster. From the other side it makes the car a bit faster.
Totally agree. A bigger problem for Turbo wear is not changing the oil enough. If you remap and don't often change the oil then yes there's a bigger chance your turbo will go bang.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts