2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just sold my alloy wheels on gumtree meaning i have my remap funds!

I have a 2010 2.2 CDTI which i have owned from 9K and are now up to 40K miles. I have looked at the vin and discovered my car was Manufactured in 2010 (its a GT-T so last of the 8th gen) and assuming this has the 3rd iteration on clutch. I have uprated my discs to drilled and grooved and got yellow stuff pads all round (much improved from the original brakes).

I dont drive like a tit so my question is clutch longevity. So far i have experienced no issues the car feels solid. I would like to go to a local remapping place near me "Sedox Performance" and get the car remapped using the dyno trying to match as close as i can to Celtics 193BhP 292 as i herd under 300 is better for the clutch.

Iv previously ready testimonials (on here) some people have covered 12K miles on standard with improved economy and other have had clutch failures within a couple months. Celtic Tuning states that that remap is made for standard components. I have an emergency cash fund for the worst case scenario but dont particularly want to pay £300 to **** my car.

Any advice thoughts or first hand experience after a similar remap would be greatly appreciated. I was debating getting the remap done today! as if i dont i never will lol

Thanks Guys & Girls?

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,912 Posts
See if Sedex can supply you with a graph indicating how the BHP and torque might look on a dyno... it isn't just about the peak figures, it's about how the power comes in and sustains across the rev range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah they just changed their website and previously they told me they do custom maps but it looked pretty smooth the HP was increased and prolonged was in the same curve as the original just higher if you get me. Il have to contact them.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I'm in a similar dilemma as yourself mate but with 7k more miles on the clock and mines a 2008 so I'll prob have the earlier clutch... But saying that the car feels solid and never had any problems.
Although it's a long drive for me to Celtic... About 4 hours 45 mins each way to be precise I'm still tempted to go to Celtic for a stage 1 as they've got nothing but good reviews on here and have a lot of experience with the 2.2 if I was a betting man, even though the odds seen against me, I reckons clutch would be fine how I drive the car but who knows.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its frustrating. would you consider getting the map only option from a celtic engineer or would you want it dyno tested. Im from Newcastle pretty much so its 7hr 450miles lol

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I've considered the map only option mate and that doesn't phase me too much as these guys really know what they're doing with their maps... And a power run at any local dyno is only about £30 ain't it.

I've emailed Celtic for some more info and prices but not heard anything back yet.

What confuses me with their maps is that it clearly states on their site they stage 1 is for standard components and stage 2 needs upgraded clutch... But when looking at the specs of stage 1 and 2 there really isn't much difference in bhp or torque.. Certainly not enough I would have thought to make or break a clutch/dmf. This is what I wanted to ask :)

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Probably got quite a lot to do with the fact that the 2.2 clutch is made of chocolate and so you don't need much to break it!

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I understand that mate I'm unsure how they can say that stage 1 is ok on standard clutch and stage 2 definitely requires a stronger clutch when the difference between stages 1 and 2 are 11 bhp and 15 lb/ft torques. That doesn't seem much to me but then again I couldn't say if 15 torques are much or not lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been on the phone to some people at Sudox Performance and they said there recommendation for the civic is 185BHP but would go higher if you want but they know 185 is safe. He had a look at the 193 BHP chart from celtic tuning website and showed me that the dyno tests on the civic they had for stock shows the car was 145.4BHP before remap which is 7.4BHP above hondas standard figures.

Now iv just confused myself even more lol basicaly he said if my car was 140 they would recomend 185 130-180/185 145-185/190.

hmmm...

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
So basically the same power hikes for the standard clutch.

I'm goin keep an eye on this pal and see what you decide and also what you think of the extra ompphh :)

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
im sorry to say it but you will proably melt the clutch within a few thousand miles..

i had a low mileage 2010 si and got less than 2k miles before it started slipping!

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I'm beginning to hate these threads as I am desperate for a remap lol

I'm hoping the longevity of the clutch really just depends on how people drive the car. With me driving like an old man 90% of the time nowadays I'm hoping the clutch will last some time. I'm at 47k on a standard clutch so far and all is good, however there is reports on here of standard clutches not lasting that kind of mileage without a remap.

For people that the clutches have failed after a remap... Would you say that the remap is worth it ? Does a remap transform the car as much as people say ?

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
yes its like a totally different car... save for an uprated clutch + SMF and get them both done at the same time..

you want to be able to enjoy the power/torque without worrying about it melting!

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
i'm keeping an eye on this thread as i too have similar plans for my SE 2.2 my clutch slipped when i first got it under lows to full throttle in 3rd and 4th which i think was when i was asking for too much torque too quickly... Since driving it fora few weeks it hasn't slipped at all so possible that the plates got oily? i've read somewhere that oil can get onto the plates and cause slipping, now ive been driving it a few weeks the oil has worn off and its back to normal i think

·
Registered
37 Posts
i got 300 miles from mine after remap before it started slipping car had done 69k but i knew a remap would require a new clutch but didn't think this soon.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
if the clutch is going to go it will go regardless stage 1 or 2, or even standard eventually.
based upon that you may aswell go for the stage 2 to get the full potential and just start preparing for the clutch when it goes.
i had a stage 2 and my clutch went after 5k miles of being mapped, the car was on 30k. but since had a standard clutch put in and am on 12k with no signs yet of any issue.
it is pot luck but well worth it. makes the civic the car it should have been from factory

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
i'm looking at clutch kits at the minute does anyone know the OEM brand for the clutch? Is it LUK same as the DMF? Any ideas on a better clutch to replace the OEM one with? Reasonable price is a must then i shall be looking into the stage 1 remap to begin with :)

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,912 Posts
i'm looking at clutch kits at the minute does anyone know the OEM brand for the clutch? Is it LUK same as the DMF? Any ideas on a better clutch to replace the OEM one with? Reasonable price is a must then i shall be looking into the stage 1 remap to begin with :)
LUK supply the DMF and clutch assemblies to Honda. And the regular (self-adjusting) pressure plates to CG Motorsport.

if the clutch is going to go it will go regardless stage 1 or 2, or even standard eventually.
based upon that you may aswell go for the stage 2 to get the full potential and just start preparing for the clutch when it goes...
I disagree... the clutch may give a decent service life on the standard engine output, but significantly raising the torque it has to handle by remapping will obviously put it under much more strain and cause it to fail a lot sooner. Not all clutches fail, mine has done over 70k miles in the 6 years I've had it* (now on 155k miles).

*I hope I'm not tempting fate here!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone know how to tell which model clutch you have in your civic? basically i google 2.2 remaps and it linked my to a thread on here where 1 or 2 people with stage 1's and 2 from celtic have covered 15,000 miles and still going strong. Maybe its not the 3rd gen of clutches but the luck of the draw?

Either way if i had the 325 clutch i would feel alot more confident taking it in this friday for a 185/190 BHP map Dyno.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 83 Posts