2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before answering, please take time to read my whole post, it will give you a better idea of the answers and information I am looking for, thanks in anticipation.

I have the 5 door 2.2 ES late 2010 model (it has standard 225-45 tyres on17 inch wheels) and I want to keep the looks of the car standard. By just increasing the power it may then become a wolf in sheep's clothing (albeit a small wolf).

The car will be serviced at Honda dealer to maintain the warranty (especially thinking about free clutch replacement). The car has done 9,000 miles and I do about 7,000 per year. Warranty until October 2013.

My interest is more in acceleration from a stand and also for overtaking in 3rd, 4th poss 5th gear.

By having a remap but keeping the car otherwise standard will I find the handling and brakes lacking especially on winding roads?

I should mention I don't floor the gas pedal from every traffic light and roundabout, however it is nice to have it there when required. So taking this into account will I still have problems with the clutch at traffic lights' roundabouts and overtaking on the occasions I do hit the gas?

What should I look at 168 (is that really worth bothering) or 185, 197, or egr off?

I realise I would need to return to either Premier or Celtic to remove, then again to remap every time I return the car to the dealer, I am near Grantham, Lincs (where is my nearest remap depot)?

I look forward to learning and benefiting from the knowledge within this forum.

The Tog

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
get a galetto tool from ebay then buy a file only remap, you can take it on and off at will then
I wondered how long until you turned up ;) i was suprised how quick you were (i hear that from the missus alot)

Coste1l and Relic are the guys in the know if i had a diesel id be permanently starting threads "help Coste1l and Relic"

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
I have the 5 door 2.2 ES late 2010 model (it has standard 225-45 tyres on17 inch wheels) and I want to keep the looks of the car standard. By just increasing the power it may then become a wolf in sheep's clothing (albeit a small wolf). Not as slow as you assume :p i've left my CTDI badges etc on the boot for this reason !

The car will be serviced at Honda dealer to maintain the warranty (especially thinking about free clutch replacement). The car has done 9,000 miles and I do about 7,000 per year. Warranty until October 2013.
This is fine

My interest is more in acceleration from a stand and also for overtaking in 3rd, 4th poss 5th gear. This is HUGELY improved

By having a remap but keeping the car otherwise standard will I find the handling and brakes lacking especially on winding roads?
As long as you drive within the limits of the car as it is now still (don't hurtle down the lanes at 100mph thinking you J.Button) you'll be fine, but it would be a HUGE benefit to change the springs & brakes (pads lines & fluid)

I should mention I don't floor the gas pedal from every traffic light and roundabout, however it is nice to have it there when required. So taking this into account will I still have problems with the clutch at traffic lights' roundabouts and overtaking on the occasions I do hit the gas?
The clutch issues are a lottery, some are fine, others slip instantly once mapped, if you drive with some mechanical sympathy it will help prolong the clutches lifespan

What should I look at 168 (is that really worth bothering) or 185, 197, or egr off?
That is a decision only you can make really, as the choice is yours!
I went for a custom map by celtic and it's superb

I realise I would need to return to either Premier or Celtic to remove, then again to remap every time I return the car to the dealer, I am near Grantham, Lincs (where is my nearest remap depot)?
Not true, a dealer cannot tell it's been mapped, if they upload new software you'll need the modified map re-applied though

I look forward to learning and benefiting from the knowledge within this forum.
We love to help! :p

Reactions: Tog

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
The Clutch situation will be worse with huge amounts of torque and if you floor it from no throttle or a fraction of throttle youll see your clutch go quicker but tbh that is the same with petrols but the added torque will see it go quicker but tbh the price of a new clutch and dmf isnt too bad and for the uprated one will be massively better than standard as quite a few people without remaps have had theirs fail so you may aswell have fun whilst burning it out ;)

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
Yes, stage 1 EGR valve off is the ideal one I would say.

The really nice thing about this map is the part throttle response which is instant. Great when driving normally in traffic. Car will even feel more refined and relaxed, and as the engines plumbing cleans itself up things get even better.

Whilst I have the daddy of an EGR off map, most of the time I don't get beyond quarter throttle on the roads.
Why not have a chat with Farid, he has done many of these.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
Bugger, me and my spelling :)

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
i would take the celtic stage 2 if i was going file only, purely based on what i require from a map not an attempt to sway decision

This is the easiest route for a DIY jobby (IMO), if you were to get a Galletto 1260 tool you can swap and change between maps (although a couple of companies do 'file only' maps now)

If i was to have another custom map I'd probably try RS tuning next

As it is i'm more than happy with the map Celtic have done for me :)

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
fahad did mine last week stage 1 with egr off, now booking it in with cg for a new clutch first week in april ..
says it all really
you budget for any remap make sure you also have a spare 900 for a clutch just in case

am now driving mine by just feathering the accelation pedal
i can even get the clutch to slip in 6th gear while doing motorway speeds..lol

phil

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
fahad did mine last week stage 1 with egr off, now booking it in with cg for a new clutch first week in april ..
says it all really
you budget for any remap make sure you also have a spare 900 for a clutch just in case

am now driving mine by just feathering the accelation pedal
i can even get the clutch to slip in 6th gear while doing motorway speeds..lol

phil
What mileage has your clutch done Phil?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some excellent advice here already, I have read on here about people having big problems when downloading maps via the galetto tool, so maybe that is not for me.

Interesting to know the dealer will not know it's been remapped (perhaps the technician would when he road tested the car) but I would only need to revisit who did the map to get it put back on.

It sounds like there are more good points to having it done than not. Other than the dreaded clutch shame on Honda.

Where are my nearest Celtic and or Premier base from Grantham.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.