2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've had my Civic for about 3 and a half weeks and I've been really pleased with it so far (previous car was a Civic Type-R but was too expensive to run, insure, tax, etc. :() With the Type-R and with the new car I've come to the opinion that Honda do lots of things pretty well but there are always small niggles that annoy me with their cars - these are only very minor but I imagine would have been very easy for Honda to fix if they've invested a bit more in user testing (like for example the ice warning - I've see that come on once when I was driving for about 3 seconds and then it disappered never to be seen again, it doesn't come on if you start the engine and it's already below whatever it's threshold it but surely that's the most dangerous time and when you most need to be alerted to the face there could be ice on the road. Also when it does come on why does it go straight off again? Why not display for a few seconds and then rever to the (i) light so I've got a visual indication of a warning message and I can press (i) to view it (just like if the passenger doesn't have their seat-belt done up), anyway, that wasn't the point of this post...).

Today I was at Tesco's and when I got back to my car the remote central locking didn't work at all, I didn't think to see if the light on the key came on because it was cold and I had lots of shopping and just wanted to get in the car, neither unlock or lock did anything. It definately locked when I left it there. I had to unlock the doors manually (something I've not had to do for years!) and then when I got home it all seemed to be working ok.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I report it to the dealer or just wait and see if it happens again?

Cheers
Colin

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
I know someone whose key (non civic, but same remote locking system) refuses to work in one particular car park. Doesn't matter how close, how far, it just doesn't work there.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Had this happen to my Type S several times - once twice in a day - took it straight to dealers and they said never had that problem before and to carry spare key in case it was a dodgy keyfob. Seems to happen for no apparent reason but nice to know i'm not alone!!!!!

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Happened once to me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry to be a bit of a nerd but I once had an amazingly dull conversation with a tedious relative about this exact same thing. You'll find that the key fob remote only works on a certain narrow frequency so that each one only does what it is supposed to (i.e. unlock your car) as opposed to anything else... It usually happens around supermarkets, garages, motorway services that another piece of kit is "blocking" the narrow band signal from your remote. Usually mobile telephone masts (telephone being mobile rather than mast of you see what I mean) but can also be caused by any strong magnetic fields too; what affects your keyfob probably won't affect many others. Weel, that's my halfpenny's worth anyway:idea:

PS Did you try the now legendary technique of putting the key fob to your head (key end first) and then pressing it? Seems to amplify the signal -get back down there and try it out then report back!!! A special scientific experiment might get you out of having to watch Eastenders on TV on Christmas Day?

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Recently my wife saw a bloke with a hand-held gadget walking up and down our road pointing it at houses. She asked him what he was doing. He said that someone had reported problems with opening their car and he was trying to find the house emitting the blocking signal. So it certainly happens, and isn't necessarily a remote key fault.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
When you think of it (although it's probably better not to) we are surrounded and bombarded with all sorts of 'waves and signals'. Mobile phone masts, radio, tv, short wave radio, microwaves, remote controls, etc etc etc...

Is it any wonder that now and again we get a hiccup with signals bouncing off metal clad buildings etc.

If your control normally works it may just be a phenonemom of your signal in that particular area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Happened to me with my alarm system every time i parked in the local B AND Q . Had to park as close to the building so i could unlock the doors(locking it was not a problem ,it was the unlocking that was the problem as stated by 4540flossy seperate radio freq for lock/unlock)soon put this down to radio signal blocking.
We live and learn.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses guys, the funny thing was it's never happened in this car park before (although I've only been there a few times in the new car) and after I had manually unlocked the door the remote key then worked for locking and unlocking the car! weird!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Today I was at Tesco's and when I got back to my car the remote central locking didn't work at all, I didn't think to see if the light on the key came on because it was cold and I had lots of shopping and just wanted to get in the car, neither unlock or lock did anything. It definately locked when I left it there. I had to unlock the doors manually (something I've not had to do for years!) and then when I got home it all seemed to be working ok.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I report it to the dealer or just wait and see if it happens again?
Hi Colin,

I've had the EXACT same experience about a week ago. I have had the car for about 3,5 weeks and it did not unlock when I pushed the button (standing NEXT to the car). I opened the door manually and drove to work and it worked fine again once I got there. Has been working fine ever since, weird though.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
When this happened to me (car was parked in garage), I had to unlock it with key.
After that I tried to lock/unlock it several times using remote, and it worked flawlessly. Must be some quirk in ECU or whatever controlls remote unlock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remote Key Won't Work on Car Park

I have been looking for an answer to this problem too. I have used my remote key at work for years, Some work was completed last week on our roof at work and now my remote key won't work whenever my car is on the carpark! It's fine everywhere else, just at work. I have to open the door manually. It's so strange how its only just started happening. I'm going to test to see how far away I have to park from the building before it will start to work. I wonder how many other people this has happened too. It kid of makes me feel a bit worried about what is blockinig the signal and why!

·
No Jedi mind tricks pls
394 Posts
I have been looking for an answer to this problem too. I have used my remote key at work for years, Some work was completed last week on our roof at work and now my remote key won't work whenever my car is on the carpark! It's fine everywhere else, just at work. I have to open the door manually. It's so strange how its only just started happening. I'm going to test to see how far away I have to park from the building before it will start to work. I wonder how many other people this has happened too. It kid of makes me feel a bit worried about what is blockinig the signal and why!
Do you decommission Nuclear Power Plants by any chance ?? :mad:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
This has happened to me too. I've only had the car a week, tested both remote keys at the dealer and they were working. Now only one works, so I took out the battery a few days ago to get the size so I could order a new one, the batteries arrived today. Put one in the non working remote, and nothing, it doesnt work. What Im finding strange is that the other one does work so I think it cant be a problem with the car. This is going to sound stupid now, but could leaving the battery out have caused some kind of memory loss with the key?
This is actually happening to my Focus too, I put a new battery in there and it still does not work. But the Focus has had central locking issues for months now.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
when this fault occurs, then press once the trunk button and then the key is working
Thanks for the advice, should really check this out, I wonder if it'll work.

·
The flying Dutchman
967 Posts
Do you decommission Nuclear Power Plants by any chance ?? :mad:
???

anyway, i got this problem aswell, but very rarely, since i owned the car in march it happened 3 times max

1 - 20 of 24 Posts