2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2010 Civic Si 1.8 5-door. I've never had any electrical or fob issues in the past.

I locked it with the remote fob as normal last night, came to it this morning and the same key fob didn't work at all. Dead. So I changed the battery. Still dead.
I tried my spare key. Also doesn't work. I changed the battery in that fob. Still dead.

The car unlocks on the mechanical key, starts, runs fine (imobiliser disarms with both keys, which are original AFAIK). No alarm, nothing else wrong as far as I can tell. Central locking works fine if you use it on the mechanical key inthe drivers door, the push button on the window pack, or on the drivers door internal lock.
Both remote fobs are dead however, won't lock or unlock the car.

I can't get it to enter learning mode to reprogram them because neither works and the car's not recognising either fob. While the car is still usable it's a bit of a pain.
Any ideas? I am hoping this isn't going to be a 200+ quid bill from Honda for a new fob + Programming but it's looking very much like it.

·
4,484 Posts
Seems most unlikely that both fobs would have failed at the same time. More likely to be something in the car. Not very helpful I know.
I doubt if reprogramming would fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have an idea where the remote locking receiver module is? I can t least try to locate it and make sure the plug isn't dislodged.

Also is there a fuse tfor the remote locking? I guess that'd be worth a try too.

Really weiord that it just stopped working, there wer no signs of trhe battery going weak in the fob yesterday, but this morning, nada. Very annoying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright. Today it works fine. I did a 12 mile drive yesterday, so I figure the car battery is on it's way out, and checking it's an original Honda battery (which means it's 8+ years old!!). Gonna get it changed tomorrow and see if it stays working. VERY Relieved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update, because lack of follow-up in these threads can be annoying. I replaced the battery on the car on the 10th of October, remote locking has worked great ever since and the car starts a little better. The main car battery was on it's way out.

My guess, based on similar experiences on other cars (I work in the auto trade) is that the car shuts down non-essential ECUs when the battery voltage starts to get low to try and save the car from shutting down completely for as long as possible.

So if your remote locking dies suddenly, take the car on a decent drive to stretch it's legs. If that fixes it temporarily then get your car battery changed, because it's probably about to croak it.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Got a similar problem, I originally lost the key in our house black hole so used the spare. Occasionally it doesn't work like today in the rain but take the unit out of the key it works ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts