2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - my 2013 1.6TDI Civic has been struggling with the battery recently - the "Auto Stop not available" sometimes comes up. I do not use the car much and after leaving doors open and radio on for a couple of hours while cleaning the car, it went flat.

I jump started the car and I drove it around. The "Auto Stop" message is on and off - some days is on, others is not.
I took the car to a mechanic, they tested it and said the battery is ok and it just needs to be recharged.

I purchased a good battery charger and I read that I could charge the battery when connected or disconnected from the car. I was thinking of disconnecting it to avoid any interference from the onboard electronics (and to avoid having wires running on the kerb to be honest!) but I was wondering if leaving the battery disconnected for long may cause trouble - I have the PIN codes if required, I am just concerned that there may be something else I am not aware of.

What is your recommendation?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,155 Posts
As told to me by a battery expert. .... If the battery has gone flat in the past then it needs a proper stage 1 and 2 charge. The alternator will provide charge but only stage 2. If stage 1 isn't charged then that will discharge the battery even with nothing connected.

I've never disconnected any Civic battery so I can't help with any consequences.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
You won't have any problems charging with it in the car, provided you connect the negative of the charger to the chassis (Ground) - If you connect to the battery negative, It won't detect the charge.

Similarly, You shouldn't have trouble disconnecting the battery - I would reccomend saving any radio presets just in case; The trip computer is also reset by pulling the battery.

·
Registered
466 Posts
'The "Auto Stop" message is on and off - some days is on, others is not. ' - depends upon the state of charge and what is drawing on the battery at any particular time.
Whether you connect the charger to earth or the battery terminal makes no difference in my experience.
Never heard the term stage 1 & 2 charging previously.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
It's a slight tangent, but I've attached the full documents showing the function of the auto stop start system, Including all of the parameters for operation.

Whilst anecdotally you might not notice a difference, if the charge doesn't pass via the battery sensor, it won't be recorded - Meaning you can have a fully charged battery whilst auto-stop start think's it's toast!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all. Yes, it was clear that the Auto Start/Stop message was telling me that the battery was weak - a large RED Battery icon displayed underneath the message was a critical clue :)
The battery is currently recharging - to be honest when I connected it the charger told me it was 80% - and voltage did not read too bad, 12.2V I believe, and indeed yesterday I had no error messages - but it's been charging for many hours now so hopefully this will top up the battery nicely. I'll let you know the outcome!

BTW - I read in the document that there is a battery internal resistance reset procedure when a battery is replaced? I replaced mine 2-3 years ago but I do not remember the installer resetting anything. Is that something I can access myself?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
12.2v sounds too low, I seem to recall 12.6 & upwards is generally considered acceptable - hopefully all will be better when fully charged (y)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope so! Well it was less than 12V when I had to jump start it so I thought 12.2 was an achievement! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Battery was recharged successfully - took a while but apparently it's normal with the charger I bought. It read 13.8V just after the charge. After a quick trip to the supermarket, it read 12.7 and no more error messages. Radio kept the stations in memory - just the station names were missing as they needed to be read again from DAB. No other issues I can see.

One thing I noticed when the battery was a bit low was that the voltage at the terminals was 12.2V with the car idle - like the car was not even trying to recharge it. But if I switched the lights on, it would go up to 14.4V as you would expect when a battery is being recharged. I'm sure there is some internal algorithm to keep the battery charged but it seemed a bit weak to me.

Thanks all for your input, hopefully it's going to be ok for a while now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
indeed - but if the dashboard is saying "Start and Stop not available" and displaying a Battery icon, I was expecting that the alternator would be engaged to resolve the situation?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sad update. Despite having used the car a bit recently (I drove 2 hours Monday and 5 hours last week), today the dashboard was showing the "Start and Stop not available" again. To be honest I checked the voltage when back home and it was reading 12.56 so I am not sure what's going on.

The battery "charge" indicator is always saying "recharge" though, even after I fully recharged it.
I think I need another battery. Any advice on the brand? This is a Yuasa and I think it's 3years old.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I replaced my OEM Varta battery after 3 and a bit years as I had the same Start Stop failure message. I replaced it with the recommended Yuasa EFB battery. I hope your battery is either EFB or AGM, which are needed for start/stop.
Not using the car much at the moment, so when I do start stop will fail initially-- I am doing a 150 mile round trip at the moment every few weeks, and towards the end of the trip the start stop will start working again. It has always sulked for various reasons which I am not worried about.
The only time I worried was when I had the red battery symbol under the sulk message, and that was a sign to replace the battery-- less hassle than a breakdown.
I bought a Yuasa YBX7027 for about £84 with next day delivery, from Tanya Batteries.
I don't know if this battery is the right one for a diesel though, mine is a 1.8 petrol.
I use a CTEK charger to keep battery topped up as I'm not driving enough .
On old battery, rest voltage was falling to 11.6V although car still started perfectly.
My daughter has a 4 year old Golf Type R-- at the 3 year mark her AGM battery just died completely despite regular use so she had to pay the AA to fit a new one, so its not just Hondas.!
I think nowadays batteries are a consumable item with a limited life-- replacement is cheaper than a breakdown- well less hassle anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can confirm that my battery is suitable for Start/Stop - -even though I always disable the Start/Stop first thing when I start the car!
My Yuasa is 75Ah, larger than yours. I think I paid it £99 in a shop close where I live.
I forgot to say that I do have the dreaded Battery icon under the "Start and Stop not available" message so that indicated that the battery is low.

If Yuasa is a good brand, I can just get another one. But Honda is opposite the Battery store, I think I'll pop in to them too and see how much they want for a genuine one - which I understand it won't be manufactured by Honda of course!

The reason I did not replace the battery straight away was that I had been cleaning the car the day before it failed to start and I thought I had just drained it by keeping the doors open and using the radio with the engine off. Then a garage tested the battery for me and told me it was ok, just to be recharged. I purchased a good quality charger but now I'm back to square one.

I hope it's not the alternator or the sensor. Would it make sense to ask Honda to take a look before replacing it or will they charge me an arm and a leg to just say the obvious?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
In theory you would get a charge system warning if there was an alternator fault; tbh it does just sound like the battery has had it.

Mine went out rather quickly on the 9G; start stop failures and dubious cranking to going from full charge to flat with just the headlights on (in acc) in a couple of minutes. - from normal to awful in the space of a week!

Varta, Yuasa and Bosch are all reasonable offerings. TBH, the halfords 5 year AGM batteries are quite good - I got one in 2.2 size for my 1.4!

They're backed by the guarantee, and I imagine they may be manufactured by yuasa.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
4,551 Posts
My 10G has almost always had the battery error. It was improved by a software update but is still not 100% reliable. I switch it off most of the time when I remember to do so.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I have to admit I usually switch off the start stop ( also when I remember) , hopefully to save the battery .
Pity, because compared to some other cars, when it works , I think the Honda start /stop system is quite good.

·
i-Vtec
3,279 Posts
Stop start systems will always be hard on batteries, its the nature of the beast, I guess the intelligent alternator doesn't help the issue either. If you go to Honda they will basically sell you a rebranded Varta battery.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts