2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
My Stop/Start performs exactly as it is intended. When there is a heavy demand on the battery it does not work and is designed that way.
I'm on my second 75 AH Varta battery from Cox Honda and I have it on good authority that about four years is it's life expectancy and this has been borne out in practice.
As a battery is the life and soul of a car I change the battery whenever it becomes suspect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I went to get a new battery today but the Yuasa is not available till the end of the month. I could get a Bosch for 110 or a Banner for 99. I never heard of Banner even though they showed me Porsche-branded Banner ones to try and push it.
I wanted to investigate more so I just popped in to Honda which happens to be opposite the shop. And I walked out with a Honda-Varta battery (as you suggested, @Das )which I paid £103. Three years warranty. I thought it was a no-brainer.

BTW my faulty Yuasa also have 3 years warranty. IF I find the receipt, it MAY still be under warranty.

The Varta is charging now - Honda was kind enough to give me one which read 12.4V and which my charger said it was 65% of charge...

I hope this solves the issue! :)

·
i-Vtec
3,263 Posts
I think 3-4 years is about right for a battery. However if you are buying a car to own and not hand back every 3 years spend the Extra and buy an Optima battery, these are the best out there imo. Had a Red Top for years on my Accord. When I scrapped the car it I sold the battery, guy tested it when he came to buy it and it was in perfect condition. I had had it over ten years, first as an audio battery and then for five years as a starter battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Need some more advice please.

I've charged the Honda/Varta new battery overnight and fitted it. The old Yuasa read 12.3V so it seems it was just tired.

New one works. However, I still get the "Start Stop not available" with a battery icon under it. The new battery read 12.6V with engine off and "all whirring off" so a few minutes after it was switched off. While still whirring it was reading 12.5-ish, then it slowly picked up to 12.6.

On the documents posted earlier on this thread I remember some mention about resetting the internal resistance of the battery. Is there a chance that I need to tell the car that this is a new battery - same as when you replace your tyres and you need to reset the delated tyre sensor?

·
i-Vtec
3,263 Posts
Try taking voltage reading with the headlights on and the AC/heater running. As already stated the civic use a Smart Alternator which only charges when required. Don't get hung up on voltage when the car is turned off, its a 12v battery, even as low as 11.8v(ish) will be deemed acceptable, its the CCA that counts for starting. Have you driven the car to see if the stop start symbol disappears? There is no reset/computer required, its not a BMW.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm attaching the Honda procedure posted on page one. It seems relevant to my case to be honest. Does anybody know what is this procedure?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I would agree with Das , and try driving the car to see if it goes away.
As I mentioned before, I have found the start/stop behaves like a teenager, and works when it wants to, so you may need to drive it a bit to see if it calms down and decides to work.
Or-- disconnect battery for 15 mins and reconnect if the above doesn't work.
Sorry, I don't know how the battery reset procedure works- I would ask the dealer, after all, they sold you the battery.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have replaced the battery on my 2.2 MK9 twice. I've not had to do anything and no error message has been displayed. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I'll drive it more but the error message disappeared immediately when I a) swapped my first faulty battery 3 years ago b) re-charged the low Yuasa battery 3 weeks ago. So I am a bit concerned now. I shall make sure the connector for the current sensor is firmly plugged in. Cheers for your inputs.

Dealership? I'm sure they'll be happy to show me that it would have been better to have the battery fitted by them in the first place by asking me an extortionate amount of money. :) But I agree it could have been worse: at least now I show up with a Honda genuine battery and they cannot blame someone else :)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts