2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

As per the title really, anyone know how easy it is or have any tips for how to remove the door card of a 5DR while the door in question is closed? My front passenger door seems to have become completely unresponsive to all methods of locking/unlocking and is essentially locked shut.

I've tried remote locking with both keys, manually operating the passenger door lock with the central locking both locked and unlocked, using the switch on the drivers door and also locking/unlocking from the outside with the key. Nothing works. When I flick the lock on the door it feels like it's not attached to anything, no locking motor noise, no feedback of any sort, it just limply flops to the other position. I also can't detect any central locking motor noise when using any of the usual locking methods so I'm presuming the actuator has died a death.

So yeah, yet another job!

Cheers, Ollie

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried disconnecting the battery it might reset it????
Can it really 'reset' a single door locking mechanism? I work in IT so I'm all for the 'turn it off and on again' approach and will certainly give it a try in the morning. I'm not getting my hopes up though as there is no feedback when activating the lock by hand so it seems more likely a mechanical issue rather than a synching one.

Cheers though!

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, get's me started so I'm not complaining! Cheers buddy.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thought this how we do it in cardiff?

Haha! You joke but that's exactly how I'm likely to be dressed at 7am tomorrow morning while trying to fit my new EBC discs and pads! I wonder how long I'll be at it before someone in my sleepy estate calls the fuzz! :police:

Also, that guy isn't from Cardiff, we're professional car thieves here and don't use crowbars!

Where you to Ad? I'm in Caerphilly.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Haha! You joke but that's exactly how I'm likely to be dressed at 7am tomorrow morning while trying to fit my new EBC discs and pads! I wonder how long I'll be at it before someone in my sleepy estate calls the fuzz! :police:

Also, that guy isn't from Cardiff, we're professional car thieves here and don't use crowbars!

Where you to Ad? I'm in Caerphilly.
With the weather now you need wrap up like these (twin town lol)

Just up the road mate, Hengoed! ha!

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Such a good film but actually really dark once you stop laughing and start thinking about it!

Say what you like, at least we ain't Jacks eh? It is starting to get cold mind!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's in progress buddy! Just finished the fronts, about to put the wheels on and go round the block before having some lunch then tackling the rears.

Was a chilly one this morning but the sun has just come out so I'm feeling better!

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BUMP.

I had a look at the door today and tbh I have no clue how I'm going to solve this. I can't see any reasonable way of removing the door card while the door is shut.

Sure, I can remove the screws but even with decent trim removal tools I just can't get enough purchase anywhere to start popping the clips.

One thing that may/May not give me hope that I noticed was that the central locking system seems to still be able to recognize the passenger door lock. If I push it to unlocked, when I lock the car the rest of the locks activate but the lights don't flash. They do flash if I unlock the car, go in and push the switch to locked position, then come out and lock again.

Help!

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should add though that there is still absolutely no feeling to the door lock switch. Pushing it one way or the other just results in it silently flopping across to the other position.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Take it to Honda, I replaced my door locking actuator and they said I fitted it wrong? So when I closed the door I couldnt open it, they managed to do it but charged a hours labour, 65 pounds? Good luck

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take it to Honda, I replaced my door locking actuator and they said I fitted it wrong? So when I closed the door I couldnt open it, they managed to do it but charged a hours labour, 65 pounds? Good luck
Cheers pal. Honestly if this had been something I'd attempted and done wrong I'd agree with you completely but since the door just decided to fail by itself, with no warning, I'm not inclined to go running to the stealer quite yet. In any event I suspect I'd just be paying them £65 to fiddle about until they get lucky which is no different to what I'll end up doing.

If I don't get a magic answer on here by the weekend I'll just have a go myself. With any luck by the time the window is down and the tweeter is removed I'll be able to get a few of my trim removal tools in the door and make enough space to do something!

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
First thought was seat belt trapped, but have you checked the fuse box. Im sure its #25 but i might be wrong. Did'nt the battery reset work?

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seat belt is free and clear. I'll check the fuses tomorrow if I get 5.

I haven't popped the battery off yet tbh but I need to try that too. I guess when I do that I should leave the doors unlocked and at least one open just in case!

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
The mechanism is on a wire so that could have failed hence that why the door won't open? I fitted the actuator in reverse of taking the old one off, tried to contest it with Honda uk who said no chance that they sent out a faulty part, so my door had no door card and had no way of opening with or without key, was comptlet stuck but they managed it, they wouldn't say how they did it but there is a way, maybe explain your situation over the phone or if you have aa give them a call and say locked yourself out of car??

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do have AA cover all could think about giving them a call maybe. I think my next step is to take the drivers door apart to understand the mechanism and then see if I can somehow pry the passenger door open even a little.

Its a really funny one as when I pull the handle I can hear the mechanism move but I presume the deadlock isn't released so it can't open the door. At the same time the car still knows what state the door lock is in as it reads correct by the central locking. It really just feels like a cabke between the door switch and deadlock has snapped/come loose. Fun!

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I can get an understanding of the mechanism from the drivers door I might invest in a slim jim if it seems possible

1 - 20 of 40 Posts