2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question alert!

Got a new OEM gear knob to replace a worn one. I can see they are threaded is it just a case of "unscrewing" the old one? and if so is it the usual anti clockwise to get off?

Stupid question I know but I gave a quick go with not much force earlier and it would not budge. Wanted to make sure before using more force as I can be quite heavy handed!

·
Registered
302 Posts
there's a nut directly under the gear knob which keeps it tight, you will need to slacken it..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm I have a small toolbox and everything I have tried will not get a tight enough grip. What is the correct tool to undo the nut?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep but its a pound shop jobby near enough it just wont grip, tried to tighten it with hammer and screw driver on the twist (obviously been very careful) but no luck :-(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having just recently replaced the gearstick gaiter on my car I found the best way was to release the gaiter plastic clips from the top - used two small instrument screwdrivers to release the plastic tangs - and then the gaiter can be scrunched downwards, you can then see and get a small spanner (think it was either a 12 or 14mm) on the hex around the base of the locknut - remember to release the gearknob you have to tighten the lock collar further onto the gearstick - clockwise: once out of the way of the gearknob the knob will undo with hand pressure alone. To refit - reverse of removal as the Haynes manuals say!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having just recently replaced the gearstick gaiter on my car I found the best way was to release the gaiter plastic clips from the top - used two small instrument screwdrivers to release the plastic tangs - and then the gaiter can be scrunched downwards, you can then see and get a small spanner (think it was either a 12 or 14mm) on the hex around the base of the locknut - remember to release the gearknob you have to tighten the lock collar further onto the gearstick - clockwise: once out of the way of the gearknob the knob will undo with hand pressure alone. To refit - reverse of removal as the Haynes manuals say!
great, thanks for that. will give that a go at the weekend AGAIN!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts