2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to get my Civic EX colour coded but I'm thinking I could probably save a bit of money if I took all the trim off myself (wheel arches, side-skirts, front/rear splitters) and gave these into the body shop to be painted instead of letting them take it apart and put it back together (which I reckon accounts for a fair chunk of the £200-300 quotes I've been getting).

I removed the rear-wheel arches when I installed my parking sensors and know that these are fairly easy to work with and I'm assuming the skirts will be similar, but I feel the problem areas will be the front and rear splitters.

Just wondering if anybody has attempted this and how easy it is likely to be. Do you think it is worth me doing or will I probably just end up with a load of broken clips on my hands?!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Exactly the post i was coming on to ask :p.
I recieved a quote of £280-£300 for colour coding on my Type S (that was them doin everything). He said he's done scratched up trims before but never the bumper splitters, he's sure some of the clips would break but he's willing to do it anyway (he doesnt know off hand what the clips are).
Does anyone know what the bumper/skirt/and trim clips are so they can be replaced if they break???

replies to the above post would be much appreciated :grouphug:

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
I did a how to for the splitters

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Exactly the post i was coming on to ask :p.
I recieved a quote of £280-£300 for colour coding on my Type S (that was them doin everything).
That seems a very good quote I am waiting to hear back from the garage on a quote for me, but I was under the impression it would cost about £500. I would imagine that removing the trim will not save you alot of money as they will dismantle it v.quickly just a few screws and clips. The main chunk of the money will be taken up from sanding down, priming and painting(the time to do and the paint itself). But it is defenetly worth seeing.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
check illegalhunters how to thread, I followed that n it's pretty easy! Took just over 45mins, but I was being carefull not to break any clips. It will definately save u cash on labour when getting them sprayed.

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
id fear the breakage if that was me :-(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers, I'll check out illegalhunters thread.

Just out of interest, anyone know where I can see some pictures of a colour coded EX. There are a lot of pics on this site of the type S trim and the image pack trim but I haven't come across a standard trim Civic that has been colour coded, and i'd like to get an idea of what the front/rear would look like.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Cheers, I'll check out illegalhunters thread.

Just out of interest, anyone know where I can see some pictures of a colour coded EX. There are a lot of pics on this site of the type S trim and the image pack trim but I haven't come across a standard trim Civic that has been colour coded, and i'd like to get an idea of what the front/rear would look like.
How mine used to look,although no picture of the rear(partial view in the last picture),hope this helps.

Attachments

Reactions: cb83

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
With no offence at all to James, if an owner can get the bits off in 45mins, being careful not to break clips, then someone who is doing it day in day out will probably manage it in under half an hour.
Even at £75 per hour Honda prices, you're looking at saving maybe £30 or £40 but running the risk of getting something wrong when taking it off, or (worse!) damaging the new paint when putting it back on.

Personally I'd pay the money - but I guess it depends on your level of confidence :)
(I know I'd end up dropping a newly painted skirt or something :oops: :lol:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts