2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Diesel Demon
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people,

I got the painted rear spoiler thrown in with the deal when I bought my new Civic in June, and to be honest I'm not sure I like it, plus it makes the rear view worse that ever.

Does anybody know how to take the bloody thing off? I've undone bolts left and right, but the damned thing seems to be bonded to the window underneath, I don't want to pull too hard in case I break something.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Damian

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Can you see it thought the rear view mirror ?
Anyone know how we can remove the spolier altogther :);) or even just more it down a few inchs ;)

·
Diesel Demon
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured the bolts out, but don't know how well bonded the spoiler is to the rear screen. I understand that they're attached with adhesive pads, anybody know how strong they're likely to be?

Ta,

Damian

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
Should just be sticky pads, good tug will take it off, and then some good adhesive remover will get rid of any guff left over.

Don't hold me liable if anything goes wrong, im not a honda tech or a connoisseur of adhesive removers!

What colour is it? if its alabaster silver id consider buying it off you.

Paddy

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have installed the full Image kit which includes the rear spoiler it is bolted on at the ends and full double sided strips the whole length of the spoiler.I had 2 strips on top and 2 underneath the spoiler with various small pieces towards the ends where it curls around.The tape is 3M tape so it is very strong stuff.It is the same tape as on the side skirts so it is very very strong.

·
Diesel Demon
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have installed the full Image kit which includes the rear spoiler it is bolted on at the ends and full double sided strips the whole length of the spoiler.I had 2 strips on top and 2 underneath the spoiler with various small pieces towards the ends where it curls around.The tape is 3M tape so it is very strong stuff.It is the same tape as on the side skirts so it is very very strong.
Do you regret adding the spoiler? It does exactly what it says on the tin, it "spoils" the rear of the car in my opinion! The back of the car is fussy enough already and rear visibility is further impared by the spoiler.

Do you thing that I'd be able to use fishing line to cut through the 3m tape? Or even a hot air gun on a low heat setting?

Thanks for your help.

D

·
Big Civic fan
207 Posts
i noticed looking around my car yesterday, that the clip onteh left hand side of the boot smacks against the inside of the bodywork and it has removed the red apint of the car.

Anyone else got this?

It certainly the clip for the plastic coloured spolier, it lines up perfectly.

Then looking at the boot door, it is closer to the body work on the left hand side than it is on the right hand side :-?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You have got yourself a nice respray of the area and a re-aligned boot there! Call your dealers ASAP and make sure you get a courtesy car.

·
Big Civic fan
207 Posts
You have got yourself a nice respray of the area and a re-aligned boot there! Call your dealers ASAP and make sure you get a courtesy car.
god damn it, only just got it back from there on friday for the following:-
  1. Fuel filler cap
  2. Rattle in the boot door
  3. handbrake was pealing silver, got that replaced
So now they need to do the following:-
  1. Tighten up the handbrake as it now has play in it
  2. Re-align the boot door
  3. touch up the area that is buggered from the boot door
  4. Creaking in the front windscreen (or rather around it)
They are not going to be pleased with me, wonder if i should leave it for a bit first.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Then looking at the boot door, it is closer to the body work on the left hand side than it is on the right hand side :-?

Ahh, welcome to whole new realm of trouble.

I had that as well. The glass on the boot door had been glued on slightly more to one side. As I went to have the car washed and water was sprayed at the car, I first realized I had a problem. Water was leaking in from both sides of the boot. [smilie=cheeky-grin:

After a series of visits to my dealer's various different garages they ended up ordering new parts for it and replaced the glass and spoiler with new ones. The rest of the boot was used to build a new boot door for my car and I lost my precious sticker in the process. :(

Haven't felt courageous enough to try washing the car after that. I will soon have to and then I'll see how well they managed to seal it. We'll see...

·
Diesel Demon
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How did you get on damian?
I haven't tried to remove the spoiler yet. I'm still in two minds about the aesthetics of the spoiler and the potential hassle in taking the bloody thing off!

What are your thoughts on the look of the painted spoiler?

Damian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts