2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching there didn't seem to be a thread with a definitive solution, so I'll ask here.

The rear window tint on the recenetly purchased 2008 8th gen is bubbling with air blisters everywhere and looks ugly inside and out (age/bad tint job?). It also worsens the already questionable rear visibility so I'd like to just remove it for good, but the desfroster wires scare me.

I've read on other forums that WD-40 with a microfibre cloth would be good. Another suggested spraying ammonia. Others used heatguns etc.

What are your experiences with succesfully removing the tint without damaging the defroster lines? If it's too tricky I may take it to a window tint place but I'd like to try myself first if possible. I assume mine would be easier to remove as there are so many large bubbles covering the entire window already.

Appreciate any comments and suggestions [smilie=gt-happyup.:

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I'm no pro on the matter but I'll share what I've gathered

Firstly, it depends on the type of tint/film and how it was put on.

I had a car done professionally and to put the film on the installer sprayed/misted the glass (which was crystal clean before hand) with a very mild 'soapy' solution to give the film a bit of slide and time to work with. It was then squeegee'd out from the central area using a small (maybe 3-4") spatula which I guess was either plastic or a heavy rubber compound, or a mixture of both. Anyway, this was to stretch the film, provide complete contact with the glass and to remove any of the bubbles you mentioned. It was then left to air dry with heat from the (Scottish?) sun. From what I'm lead to believe this is the easiest way to install it with the best finish.

If yours was done the same way it should be as simple as getting some heat/sun onto the glass and then using a hair drier (go easy if you're using a heat gun) starting at a bottom corner where possible and just peeling away as you go.

Give this a go first and if your struggling its likely been a film with a sticky adhesive and I can't help you there but heat, patience and a non caustic solution should help big time. Maybe someone with experience of this kind of tint will chip in they're experience...

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Has anyone suggested brake cleaner ?

Only thing with that is it drys things out. WD40 is prob a good one ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright thanks for the suggestions, will wait for a sunny day to give it a shot - first hair dryer and then WD40 if its too hard.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Alright thanks for the suggestions, will wait for a sunny day to give it a shot - first hair dryer and then WD40 if its too hard.
I doubt WD40 will do anything to the stuff when its stuck on. might be ok to remove sticky residue.

Only way to remove the film is with heat, after that I would use rubbing alcohol instead of WD40.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts