2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started to change the plugs in my type r and hit a problem. How do I remove the coil packs? There is not enough room to get them out as they hit the bodywork under the windscreen cowling! Am I missing something here or is there a certain way of doing it? Cheers, John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
To remove the metal guard you need to unclip (and it is just clips) the plastic where the washer jets are housed and then you can see the bolts that hold the guard on.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
pull the scuttle panel up and forwards, unplugging the washer jet line on the drivers side as you go.

Next use an extension bar and 10mm socket to remove the 6 or so bolts holding the metal guard in. peel from the the passenger side first and lift and turn it past the master cylinder, being careful not to scratch the rocker cover.

Packs will lift straight out now :)

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
pull the scuttle panel up and forwards, unplugging the washer jet line on the drivers side as you go.

Next use an extension bar and 10mm socket to remove the 6 or so bolts holding the metal guard in. peel from the the passenger side first and lift and turn it past the master cylinder, being careful not to scratch the rocker cover.

Packs will lift straight out now :)
^^exactly this

I think I also removed the wiper arms first though last time, can't remember if that was necessary but it should be obvious from here on.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
The central part of the plastic cover is separate to the bits by the wiper arms, so no need to remove them.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
They should be 1.1mm from the factory

Some people say it is ok to set the gap on an iridium plug, I was always told to leave as they are as you can damage the tip.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I too have heard not to try and gap iridium plugs. I think the reason is due to the electrode being so thin there's a chance you can bend or break it.

Since putting new plugs in mine my average mpg has gone from 23 to 24/5. I'm not driving any different either or doing any different journeys. Strange as there was no indication the old plugs were breaking down but they looked originals and my car is close to 50k. I think I the engine feels a touch smoother too.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Exactly fella. People claim big bhp rises etc from plugs but I find it BS. Smoother running and starting easier are the main gains

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Is it just the three plastic clips holding the washer jet housing on? The middle clip came off no bother but the other two felt like they where about to brake before coming out!

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Theres pop clips all along the scuttle, give it a firm tug forwards, it hooks under the metal plate too- watch you dont break those clips

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is it just the three plastic clips holding the washer jet housing on? The middle clip came off no bother but the other two felt like they where about to brake before coming out!
Mine was the same middle clip came out easy but side ones where harder. A large screwdriver under and gentle persuasion them brought them out though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts