2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So early hours of the morning last night(confusing), someone for unknown reasons targeted my house and squirted superglue all over my car and the front door lock of the house. The lock is being sorted easily so that's not a huge issue, though admittedly very alarming. I have a dog though, who did nothing. Bloody useless lol!

The main issue I have is getting the glue off my car without damaging the paintwork. I rang up my local car body shop and he said superglue is probably the worse thing for car paint as it bites into the paint leaving no other option than to strip the panel(s) and repaint. Expensive.

Just wondering on the off chance if anyone has ever experienced something similar and if you managed to get the glue off without damaging the paintwork? I know it's a bit of a shot in the dark but you guys have been very helpful in the past.

Any suggestions would be hugely welcomed right now.

Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
Has the world gone mad overnight or what?!

Be careful with acetone, it's nasty stuff. Good but use with care.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I got superglue while glueing the handles on the car cause my sisters kid pulled them instead of squeezing in the cache lol

Nothing would get it off. Not even top brand 70% alcohol wipes. So I borrowed some nail varnish wipes from a girl and it removed the glue, in fact it even removed some thin scratches and no paintwork got removed. Didn't see no black on the bud. They are the best wipes I have ever tried. Pound shop did them for a £1

Believe it or not, they even removed spots of
hammerite paint

Pretty Nail Varnish Remover Pads 2x30 Acetone 60 Pads in Total | eBay

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
You can also use hot water. Super glue softens with hot water. It does need soaking for it a bit so it can be a faff at this time of year. Once soft it just peels off. Personally I'd use gt85 as it doesn't damage the paint at all.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
That's just nasty!
Someone threw a makeshift sock full of petrol soaked paper under mine one evening, thankfully it never took off and went out but some people I think just get jealous or just T..s..ers!

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
flipping hell what the hell is going on? why would someone do such a nasty thing, mate if i was you i would get some decent cctv installed and a decent dash cam that detects motion, man there are too many haters out there, or some crazy prats, i had the one side of my micra sprayed black when i first passed 18 years ago, and it broke my heart, i shopped around and every body shop was saying you need a full respray, which i could not afford at that time, then i went to my mates house and he laughed at first and then got some grit kinda polish and it all came off, , mate these things happen, just be glad that nothing has happened to you or your family i know we love our cars, but your health and family comes first trust me on that, the guys on here will give you all the advice you need to get of that super glue off,

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
At work I once bust a tube of super glue all over a rear bumper. We have something called a glass file (it's used in the bodyshop world) I was able to shave off the glue with it once it had solidified then I flatted and polished it. So it can be done. Would be a pain on a huge scale though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Geraint Waddon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys, I cannot thank you all enough, seriously. I appreciate every suggestion and will get round to removing the glue. It is such a pain in the arse but you guys have lightened the situation quite a lot. I got a quote from my local body shop for £250 and being a student I can't really afford to just drop £250 with the risk of it happening again sometime soon. I'm already on the case of buying decent CCTV and motion-detecting floodlights which will be installed over the next couple of days. The worst part about it all is that I live with my parents, and they have to deal with it too. We live in a secluded area too, so whoever has done it has personally targeted me and I genuinely have no idea why. Quite alarming.

On the plus side, the whole neighbourhood have come together and are all on high alert which is good, but causing unnecessary stress obviously. I've never had any problems with anyone in the past so this really does make no sense at all.

Anyway, I'm so grateful for everyone's suggestions, it really does make it seem less of a stress.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Already on it. Dad's on holiday for the next couple of days leaving the garage free so there's no chance of anything else happening to it soon. Thanks for the suggestion mate!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the confidence, I'm definitely going to give that a go! But please don't try it just in case, I don't want you to damage anything on my behalf! Thanks mate!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting... I'm in Cardiff so I highly doubt it was the same guy but could possibly be linked/stolen idea. It's just a very cowardly and pathetic malicious way of vandalism. Thanks for the link, very interesting!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some 'men' are just cowards who can't stand up to someone so commit vandalism instead. It's just child's play mate, completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I appreciate that, thanks mate. I've got some cameras coming soon and I doubt this will happen again but better safe than sorry. That's exactly what I thought when I realised what had happened. Luckily I don't think they were trying to break in or cause physical harm to anyone, just being malicious but you are right. It's a bit scary (and maybe slightly overdramatic) that whoever it is knows who I am and where I live. Thanks for the suggestion mate, I appreciate it a lot!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts