2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone

just waiting for the AA man to turn up... :(

went to start the car this morning and it was dead, in fact there wasn't enough power to open the car with remote locking, so had to use the key.

this is the second time in 8 weeks this has happened. Last time, AA came and got it going and it's run fine since. he did an alternator check and that was ok. his battery check then came out as 'good recharge'.

I only used the car on Saturday evening, so it hasn't been sat idle for a long period. And I've even left the car for over a week in this time, and it started straight away.

The battery itself is less than 2 years old.

There is nothing obvious which would have been draining the battery (lights not left on, etc.), any thoughts on what could be happening? Faulty battery? something else? :(

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
...and because I tried to jump it, it now needs remapping! So it's about to be towed to the Honda dealership :(
hope the £damage for that isn't too much :(

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update - so apparently the battery's been on charge for most of the day, but it's not holding any charge... so that's kaputt. but it's a fairly new battery, and prelim tests they've run (not sure what) suggest that the ECU could be damaged...

ARGH!

:facepalm::D

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE

so the battery's knackered, but by the sounds of it it's because it was a standard Halfords one, and in the dealership's experience these type of batteries rarely see past 2 years, because the Civic is quite demanding on batteries. So hopefully, they can retrieve it from the skip and I can return it under the Halford's 6 year warranty.

they've also remapped the keys, and reset/reprogrammed (whatever the correct term is) the ECU.

they even noticed that the bulb on rear number plate had gone, so have replaced that.

picking it up shortly, so will update the post with the £damage... but it's certainly not as bad as it could have been (they mentioned damaged ECU yesterday!)

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SO! It looks like I got away with this lightly... £162.11

£54.17+vat for diagnosis/ECU & keys reprogrammed
£79.17+vat for new battery & fit
£1.75+vat for number plate bulb!

what have I learnt?

1. don't buy 'unofficial' batteries
2. don't try and jump start and 06 Civic
3. AA membership is well worth it!

now to see if I can get my money back from Halfords for their dead battery...

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just as an update, I've had an email from Halfords (who will give me a refund on my drained battery) saying that,

"Honda's did have a issue where the boot light remains on and drains the battery, this is a known fault, so if your new battery fails it probably is the boot light."

not sure which models/editions that applies too, but could be something to look out for if you're suffering from battery drain!

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
just as an update, I've had an email from Halfords (who will give me a refund on my drained battery) saying that,

"Honda's did have a issue where the boot light remains on and drains the battery, this is a known fault, so if your new battery fails it probably is the boot light."

not sure which models/editions that applies too, but could be something to look out for if you're suffering from battery drain!
thats interesting - and thanks for all the updates. Glad you got it all sorted mate.

I switched my interior lights off back in January after a very similar experience which resulted in me buying a new battery. Does anyone know if this is a known fault an on any particular model?
I need to learn how to do a 'parasitic battery drain' ... anyone got a link to a hot to for that?
Was fine during the summer, but I need some lights on now as I leave for work before 6:30am and get home well after 7pm! so won't be driving in the daylight again for a while now

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
thats interesting - and thanks for all the updates. Glad you got it all sorted mate.

I switched my interior lights off back in January after a very similar experience which resulted in me buying a new battery. Does anyone know if this is a known fault an on any particular model?
I need to learn how to do a 'parasitic battery drain' ... anyone got a link to a hot to for that?
Was fine during the summer, but I need some lights on now as I leave for work before 6:30am and get home well after 7pm! so won't be driving in the daylight again for a while now

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
what have I learnt?

1. don't buy 'unofficial' batteries
2. don't try and jump start and 06 Civic
3. AA membership is well worth it!

now to see if I can get my money back from Halfords for their dead battery...
1. You can get any battery you want, just as long as it is a good quality one and it's CCA is at least 430 and has 45Ah of charge

2: Don't jump start a 06 civic with the keys ignition as this scrambles the immobilizer and needs recoding

3. Not for me, I have never needed road side assistance

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry to jump in on your thread but over the last few days I have had a similar problem on my CRV. With the issue I had I believe it is very similar to the issues on the civic models.

Car was left from Saturday night around 9pm until Monday at 7am.

Went to start the car and it was dead. Over the last few months I had been noticing it getting a little harder to start - nothing serious - but expected to be buying a new battery sometime soon.

Got the car jump started and went to buy a battery. Parts dealer offered to test the battery prior to selling me a new one. Battery proved to be perfect and alternator was also charging fine. Problem most likely something drawing the battery whilst switched off.

Watched the Youtube video in the earlier post and decided to try this. Having never used multimeter before I was (and still am) unsure what it was telling me but I soldiered on and disconnected the negative battery lead, set up the meter to 10A and touched the probes on the negative terminal and battery lead. It took around ten seconds to settle where it read 0.22.

The plan was to pull one fuse after another until I saw a significant change in the reading. First port of call was the AC relay which is a renowned problem (according to this forum). No change whatsoever.

I then proceeded to remove each fuse looking for change. Eventually I pulled a 10A fuse called "i backup" and the reading dropped to 0.01.

On further research I found out this fuse controlled a number of circuits but most importantly it was the fuse used for the bluetooth.

I have been suffering intermittent connection problems for months and lately zero connection to the HFT.

I searched out the HFT Bluetooth module, carefully removed the connector with pliers and the reading dropped to 0.01.

Looks very much like I have had a dodgy HFT module that was stuck in the on / search mode draining the battery.

At £1000 for a replacement I wont be seeking to replace it.

I know its not groundbreaking new info hope it maybe helps rule out another possible cause of battery drain on all Honda models.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there any way of being able to 'disconnect' Bluetooth? It's not something I use anyway, so would be good to knock it out, in case it's the culprit...

That is, when I get my car back, as I had a prang the morning after I got it back from Honda!!

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Is there any way of being able to 'disconnect' Bluetooth? It's not something I use anyway, so would be good to knock it out, in case it's the culprit...

That is, when I get my car back, as I had a prang the morning after I got it back from Honda!!
I searched out the HFT Bluetooth module, carefully removed the connector with pliers and the reading dropped to 0.01.
Yes.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Helpful!

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
It's the answer to your question.

Yes, you can simply disconnect the module.

If you mean where is it, then it is attached to the plastic panel below the steering wheel which only takes a few moments to remove.

To be more specific, see my post linked below that has pictures of the removal of the panel about half way down the post.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/gallery/107702-my-car-log-android-4-1-double-din-speaker-upgrade-sub-reversing-cam-more-2.html#post1724704

You could maybe disconnect it without removing the panels though.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You could have just been nice and said that in the first place! :)

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
You could have just been nice and said that in the first place! :)
It wasn't obvious from your post that is what you were after though, I just assumed you didn't read the bit about it being possible to disconnect the module.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Looks like I'll be doing this test myself.

Been having battery issues since I purchased the car last year. The battery was replaced with a new Honda one by the original garage, and I hoped that would solve it, but since then if the car sits for maybe two weeks or more, the battery is usually flat, although there is enough power to unlock the car from the fob.

If the car only sits for a week or so then it seems to start fine. Used it like this for a couple months only using the car once a week or so.

The past two times the car has been sat for longer, and the battery has been down to 5v. I'm hoping this hasn't knackered the battery, but there isn't any corrosion on the terminals so hopefully I'm okay.

Most recently the car has sat for six weeks with a fully charged battery, in that time I don't think the car has even been unlocked, and it's down to 5v today. Charging it up overnight and will hopefully figure out the issue tomorrow if it isn't pouring with rain.

The most common source of a drain seems to be the HFT, which I do not have. So I will be curious to know what is causing the trouble.

Really hoping it is a cheap simple fix...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts