2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
They're cheaper than normal wheels, and allow car makers to give you more boot space. Something people care about when buying a car. Most people don't think about a puncture.

That said, I hate them, too. When I had my Integra, I immediately made a new boot floor and fitted a full size spare. I thought about it in the Civic, but then the boot floor won't be flat anymore if you fold the seats down. You also loose the extra compartments on the sides... In the end I thought I'd just live with it ;)

·
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
941 Posts
You can fit one in but as androo said above you need to build a false floor to raise the boot level up so a fullsize spare will fit.

All comes down to how much driving you do and how much the limited speed a thin-spare wheel would inconvenience you.

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can fit one in but as androo said above you need to build a false floor to raise the boot level up so a fullsize spare will fit.

All comes down to how much driving you do and how much the limited speed a thin-spare wheel would inconvenience you.
The tires are the main issue, half width, double pressure(guess it is needed to offset the width), very low tread(I have never used mine and it is low(less than 5mm) so it is useless in the wet or to suit my high cornering speed style of driving.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Must confess I don't see why if Grayfox had to use a spacesaver he couldn't refrain from his "high cornering speed style of driving" for a day or so until he gets a new tyre. :smile::eek:

In one of the weekend newspapers recently someone wrote that he had a frightening time driving along the inside lane of a motorway after a spacesaver had been fitted; he observed the 50mph limit, as required when using a spacesaver, but was tailgated by impatient drivers.

But a spacesaver is better than no spare wheel at all, and I fear it would take me a while to work out how to use the gunge etc supplied with the car in the event of a slow puncture. I would have thought that the great number of potholes would have led to an increase in gashed tyres, where the gunge is useless.

Marlburian

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
...don't see why if Grayfox had to use a spacesaver he couldn't refrain from his "high cornering speed style of driving" for a day or so ... recently someone wrote that he had a frightening time driving along the inside lane of a motorway after a spacesaver had been fitted ... Marlburian
Indeed - normal driving with any 'skinny spare' is sharply limited regarding speed and handling and load ...

Personally, methinks [Grayfox] hath over-imbibed of the strong waters from the "scabby didgeridoo tree" (those hollow branches hold a lot !) ...

Or, he genuinely didn't realise the ethos behind these spares, which is to get you (albeit rather slowly) to the nearest garage \ tyre fitter, in the event of a 'non-gunkable' gash (use gunk for punctures) ...

Either that, or he speaks in "TWORN" (True Words Of Royal Numpty) ...

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Doesnt using the tyre gunk mean the tyre cannot be repaired? May just be talking out my behind though :lol:

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Must confess I don't see why if Grayfox had to use a spacesaver he couldn't refrain from his "high cornering speed style of driving" for a day or so until he gets a new tyre. :smile::eek:

In one of the weekend newspapers recently someone wrote that he had a frightening time driving along the inside lane of a motorway after a spacesaver had been fitted; he observed the 50mph limit, as required when using a spacesaver, but was tailgated by impatient drivers.

But a spacesaver is better than no spare wheel at all, and I fear it would take me a while to work out how to use the gunge etc supplied with the car in the event of a slow puncture. I would have thought that the great number of potholes would have led to an increase in gashed tyres, where the gunge is useless.

Marlburian
Not surprised. Why were they on the motorway with a spacesaver wheel??

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Not surprised. Why were they on the motorway with a spacesaver wheel??
because they got a puncture on the motorway and was driving off to get the puncture repaired - probably ;)

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
because they got a puncture on the motorway and was driving off to get the puncture repaired - probably ;)
When i was at TAFE(kinda like Uni) I saw a Holden Barina(Opel Barina) with a space saver fitted for 1 whole year and the car was used everyday.

So not all people use them to get the main replaced.

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
If i remember rightly fifth gear did a road test on a astra round their track, once with normal tyres, once woth 1 space saver on, and once with all four corners with space savers on, results were quite shocking/dangerous!
spacesavers give very dangerous but fun slidyness round the corners, but if tried on the road expect your car to try and mate with the closest/hardest object!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.