2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in previous thread have noticed the bonnet on my vivid blue pearlescence seems to be lighter than rest of car when viewed in a certain direction/sunlight.I first thought it was a poor spray job but the bodyshop would only open the specified coded tin of paint,can't understand the reason other than the bonnet being sprayed off the car?
Does anyone else have similar problems after a paint job!or am I being paranoid about it.

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
could be a number of reasons, maybe the wings have been resprayed, hence looking a bit darker than the bonnet. How bad does it actually look? is it bad enough to warrant a respray? You know you might be able to get it remedied by getting it detailed, there are methods that can be applied to bring out the colour or certainly to achieve a balance across the panels.

·
The Dugs Baws
3,507 Posts
When the bonnet of a car need`s painted, the wing`s have to be blended to match.
As for a tin of paint for your car colour then it must have been a small company that painted it and they have bought a tin of ready mixed paint from their paint supplier.
Most bodyshop`s have paint mixing facilities to make sure they get the proper match and shade for your car.(not just taking a tin of paint off the shelf and using that).

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
Are you sure it is not just the angle? Deep sapphire blue looks different depending on how the light hits it and the bonnet always looks slightly different colour because of this.

Here is an example of what I mean, this was brand new with 17 miles

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
If you look at the gap separating the bonnet and the front wings, the two panels ares not completely flat like on other cars. This causes the paint to look slightly mismatched as light hits both panels at different angles. This effect can be seen easily on light coloured Civics especially brand new ones in your local Honda dealership and even the silver Civic on the very top left of this website! :popcorn:

Personally, I think the best way to see if the colour match is good is to stand behind your front wheels and compare your bonnet respray against the wings (if they have not been blended) :police:

There's always the thought of your resprayed bonnet being stuck in your head which causes you to actively look for any colour mismatch whenever you look at your car. Ask friends and families for their opinion without telling them it has been resprayed. If the overall result is satisfactory, you may be able to live with it and if not, you will probably eventually get the bonnet resprayed again :lol:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure it is not just the angle? Deep sapphire blue looks different depending on how the light hits it and the bonnet always looks slightly different colour because of this.

Here is an example of what I mean, this was brand new with 17 miles

Thanks very much for your input,I see what you mean about the match,my bonnet shows up lighter against rest of car from the same angle.Unfortunately the wings were not blended in on repair - it was just a new bonnet.Have been in touch with repairer for them to have a look at it,its just a matter of arranging where and when - they're at Grantham and I'm at Lincoln,I do'nt think it would change with detailing with it being metallic but will have to see !It does make you wonder why Honda dropped the vivid blue colour in such a short while.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Dave.M89's picture illustrates my previous post where you can see the bonnet is horizontal and the wing is diagonal. The 2 panels do not meet 100% horizontally flat and light hits them at different angles causing the slight colour mismatch.

Blending the wings which will require another bonnet respray, may tone down the mismatch a bit. However, if you have a light colour Civic, the slight mismatch will always be there at certain angles regardless if it's brand new car or resprayed since that's how Honda designed the 8th generation Civic :(

I could point out another place to look for colour mismatching on the Civic but I don't want you getting paranoid any further :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts