2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know this has been posted elsewhere, and I have read the previous posts on this topic, but I would like some more advice please.

I ordered a key on "carkeyhelp" and it arrived; however, it did not fit the car door and after a battle, they agreed to a refund. This still leaves me with only one key to the car after losing my second set a while back. Honda have quoted me £195 or there about for a replacement - which would be hard to stomach.

Do any of you know another way around this? I think Timpson's and the like would still be quite pricey. I have seen how some people have fused parts together from ebay and done it that way, but I am confused on how to actually do this. Are there any more decent web based sellers who can provide ready cut keys with a transponder?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Steve.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
no it will start the car too if its coded, however the car would have to be taken to the dealer to have it coded to the ecu to start the engine, that would be in any case, also timpsons just order a blank key from honda and cut it to yours, so i imagine the price would be identical pretty much, then it would have to be taken to the dealer to go on the HDS and be coded in.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got quoted 190 for a remote key from an independent company, which like Honda, is silly money.
I thought the transponder is what disengaged the immobiliser? But you say a simple "coded" key would actually start the car?
This could be worth a look in!

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
I got quoted 190 for a remote key from an independent company, which like Honda, is silly money.
I thought the transponder is what disengaged the immobiliser? But you say a simple "coded" key would actually start the car?
This could be worth a look in!
No there's a tiny chip inside the key that dis arms the immobiliser, when i worked at honda the chip used to be in the metal part of the key, right at the top (by the fob) not sure if there still there or incorperated in the fob. older fords and vauxhalls had the chip in the plastic, if you look at an older ford or vaux key you will notice a small swuare of plastic, thats where they are stored.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, coded key is fine it just hasn't got the buttons. Honda had the car for an hour or so and at least you know it's a genuine part,plus if it don't work for any easier it's easier to get it sorted.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
My AA cover comes with lost key insurance because I've been with then 6 years. Be cheeky and use that if you have it.

Reactions: L44VAT

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When the alarm is armed, just putting the key in the door and turning it will set it off, though. Does a coded key stop this happening, or will the alarm sound until you put the key in the ignition?
I will give Honda a bell later and see what other options they have, as last time I called, they gave me the one option and that was the £195 one!
I don't think I have lost key insurance :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts