2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting quoted £270 from Honda for a new 2 button key I plan to:

1) Buy a secondhand Honda 2 button key off ebay.
2) Buy a key blank off ebay, get it cut locally
3) Transfer the internal gubbins from the secondhand key to the newly cut key.
4) Get Honda to reprogramme the key to work with my car (£45)

Is there anything else I need to know about?

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
Nope that's pretty much it apart from if your looking to purchase a flip key then you will need to relocate the transponder aerial bud as it will be to far from the ignition pickup ring because of the new location I'm the key

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brilliant! That's what I was looking for. Not fused about a flip key. Partly because I find flip keys tend to fall out of my pockets.
Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
After getting quoted £270 from Honda for a new 2 button key I plan to:

1) Buy a secondhand Honda 2 button key off ebay.
2) Buy a key blank off ebay, get it cut locally
3) Transfer the internal gubbins from the secondhand key to the newly cut key.
4) Get Honda to reprogramme the key to work with my car (£45)

Is there anything else I need to know about?

Looked into doing this a few years ago with Ian but the problem seems to be that no one could answer if the remote part of the key (the 2 buttons that do the alarm and unlock and lock the car) can be programmed to a different alarm. What I earned was they can be programmed once but they dont think you can reprogram them again like you could with the EP Civics and I was not going to waste the money and find out

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
Looked into doing this a few years ago with Ian but the problem seems to be that no one could answer if the remote part of the key (the 2 buttons that do the alarm and unlock and lock the car) can be programmed to a different alarm. What I earned was they can be programmed once but they dont think you can reprogram them again like you could with the EP Civics and I was not going to waste the money and find out
Hi Rick
I have already successful had this done with a new and second hand one's fella.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out the key off eBay won't work. The immobiliser chip is part of the circuit board on my key. There is nothing obvious to unsolder and transfer to the new key.

While you can reprogram the remote you cannot reprogram the immobiliser to anything other than the original key.

I've found a place locally that thinks they can supply an aftermarket key. Waiting for a quote but hopefully cheaper than Honda!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts