2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently bought a 2009 2.2 ES and it only came with one key, what's the best (cheapest) way to get another?

I still have a key from my old 2007 2.2 Sport (written off), but I can only imagine this will be of no use...

Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I’ve bought a couple of blank key cases off Amazon (will take about a month to deliver) in the hope that I can get it cut to shape for around £10-15 then I can put the internals from my old key in it and reprogram it...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[EDIT]

The link for the blank key shell if anyone is interested...

Entry Remote Key Fob Shell For Honda Civic Accord Crv Replacement Cover Case Durable Keyless https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ER5CZQK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uI1pBb8D937BV

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve been doing a bit of digging and I think my idea will get the old key to lock/unlock the new car remotely but it won’t start the car due to the programming mode not programming the immobiliser and only does the remote locking...

Does anyone know the cost of getting my cobbled-together franken-key codes to work with my new car?

Or how much a whole new key from Honda would be?

Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
21,035 Posts
We used to have a member who could extract the inards from an existing key and create a working flip key.

It wasn't easy apparently.

Honda keys are very expensive. Perform a search as a few prices have been posted.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
If you just looking to replace the key and not after a fully working spare, moving the internals into a new key is straightforward, providing it's the same size.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be wanting a key which is fully functional. We’ve got one key between the two of us, which isn’t the end of the world, but if that key is lost we’re fecked...

·
Registered
6 Posts
On a slight related side note, I was reading through the manual last night and noted that there was a section about the keys saying that you needed some sort of key card (serial?) thing that comes with the keys, is this needed while programming the keys? (Curious as I dont have this...)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts