2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I am posting this in the right place. I need a spare key and Honda dealer wants to charge me £180 :facepalm: Can you get these any ware else cheaper?? Tried to search but three letter words aren't allowed :)

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Unfortunately if you need it coding it'll be expensive. I got an auto locksmith to get me a replacement key for my VW for £95 as an emergency callout.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
not too sure if you can r e program it but if u can get a blank key , get it cut . then at least you can manyually open / close the car .

then when chance becomes available at scrappy or ebay carry the doner parts over to get it reprogrammed by honda whichh wnot be cheap to program it but it will cut costs down

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
I've seen on fleabay a blank Honda remote key for £35. You'll just need it cut and programmed afterward which can cost up to £100 but that's still a saving against £190+vat

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
A key cutter near me cuts them & then clones your spare key chip program to your new key.

So It doesn't have to be a Dealer job.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I've done this.

Step 1
You need to buy a key blank (£5) and a second hand key with buttons etc (costing £10-25) from ebay - this must be from the Civic, not CRV/Jazz etc, they look the same but are possibly not, check with the vendor. You then take the electronics from the second hand key and put them in the new key blank. As said above there are vendors on Ebay who will sell you a perfectly good 'reconditioned' key for £35 or so, but the cheapest method is to do it yourself, it is pretty easy.

Step 2
Go to Timpsons, check they have a laser key cutter and ask them to clone the key. My local branch took 3 attempts to get it right but did it for free. The issue seems to be the depth of the cut on either side, the consensus is that few attempts is best rather than go too deep on the 1st.

Step 3
Once the key fits both locks, take it to Honda dealer and ask them to reprogram it. This costs 30 mins labour which is about £50. Then you should have a working new key which will unlock the car remotely and start it.

Overall cost is about £80, a significant saving but a bit of faffing around.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My local Timpsons won't cut my blank but the will sell me one and program it !!! They said my blank may not be genuine Honda as I got it off FleaBay and they would be liable if they cut it and it snapped. I only want it as a back up to be able to get in to the car so if I do loose my master key, the recovery dudes don't need to break in to it to tow it to Honda or where ever :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I had my Ebay flip key cut £13 & it worked first time, no issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.