2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i purchased my 202 diesel civic, it just came with one manual key that you unlock the car at the door. I rang Honda and they said a replacement key with remote will be £250 + vat.

Does anyone know where you can get one cheap and are they easy to reprogram your self?

I have seen blank ones and you get it cut.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flip-upgrade-service-for-Honda-Civic-Accord-Jazz-Legend-CRV-remote-key-fob/391620172792?epid=2035562946&hash=item5b2e619bf8:g:vk4AAOSwo4pYbLwu

They say they will change your standard key to a flip version, but you have to send your original to them. As you only have 1 key this would mean you car would be out of action for a few days.

It may be worth seeing if a local key cutter/locksmith type firm can copy you a second non flip version and then send that off while you still have the use of the original key and the car?

·
Super Moderator
2,057 Posts
When i purchased my 202 diesel civic, it just came with one manual key that you unlock the car at the door. I rang Honda and they said a replacement key with remote will be £250 + vat.

Does anyone know where you can get one cheap and are they easy to reprogram your self?

I have seen blank ones and you get it cut.
when I asked my dealer about a key for my 8g it was 149.50

a decent independent key cutter should be able to sort you for around 80 quid

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
There are some instructions here, somewhere, about part programming a key yourself but the end result isn't 100%, there are some functions that only a Honda dealer can do.

As above, don't let your only key go as it may cause more expensive problems - that we have had before when one got lost in the post.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I bought a new uncut gen honda key blank for mine but then found no-one would code it for me. Tried several independents, timpsons etc and no-one would touch it.

Local honda dealer wanted 200 quid.

Found one local independent who would supply his own blank, code and cut but wanted 250 (yes really, for non-gen key?!)

lock and key centre in Aylesbury sorted me out - very high quality flip non-gen replacement key fob supplied, cut, coded and tested whilst i waited, cost 99 quid. V happy with these guys - can't rate them highly enough.

Mine 9g btw but i'm sure they're not too dissimilar.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I was in a similar position with the wife's 2.2 CDTi.
There's a company in Birmingham called Duplicut who can do it. Appreciate they're quite far from you, but worth giving them a call. If they can recommend someone closer to you I'm sure they will.

Really nice bunch of people.

Think they charged £110 or £125. But they supplied the key as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i rang my local Honda dealer and for a new key with a remote is £250, so wasnt going to pay that.
Key i have is just a manual one which is annoying as you always have to go to the door to unlock. If you need to open the boot you need to go to the drivers door and unlock the doors then open the boot lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,057 Posts
hey we had years of putting keys in locks before they invented the key fob type
welcome to the world us older ones remember
I remember cars that didn't even have central locking

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
The idea of pressing the fob to unlock the car is fine.

Whoever decided that the car should unlock when you approached it and activated the ignition so all you did was climb in and press a button needs 'interviewing'.

It's been proved that not putting the key in a hole and turning it is a serious security risk and raised the possibility of empty driveways.

Maybe the inventor manufactures faraday bags !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts