2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just picked up my new 2015 Civic Sport Navi, 1.6 DTEC. Gotta say, I'm loving it so far. Not as much pick up and poke as my 58 plate SE 2.2 DTEC, but more than makes up for it in looks, not to mention running costs... And I'm not 25 any more. Lol.

One unfortunate niggle I have is that, while the DRLs are a beautiful bright white, the main and high beams are boring old regular halogens.

So I'm looking to replace with either Xenon Effects, or an HID kit, but wondered if anyone had any examples or thoughts of the difference between the two. Obviously, the HIDs will be more expensive, and require modification to the vehicle, which I'm less keen on.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Adam

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I took a punt (sorry Mr. JP) and nipped down to Halfrauds yesterday evening.

Shouldn't have wasted my time and money.

They sold me a pair of 477UB Ultra Blue bulbs, the guy in store fitted them for me, popped the boxes straight into the bag.

Halfords | Halfords (HBU477) Ultra Blue Car Bulb x 1

First thing I noticed this afternoon, driving in the pissing rain was that they were abysmal in the dusk. So I went for a drive this evening, found a nice dark spot, and got out to take a look... yes... a look... right into my headlights... and yes, I can still see.

********, these lights are pants, I thought.

Now, I've just spotted on the box, and when looking up on the website to find you fine young gentleman a link, that they're not even bloody road legal!!!

What an absolute Twonk!!!

It even says on the Halfrauds website, "We do not fit these bulbs in store, as they're not road legal!" *** was this guy doing???

Now, I'll admit that I'm just as much at fault for buying them on store advice, but these guys are the supposed (store) experts!!!

So now I've got to go down in the pissing rain and change them back to the stock ones, while I wait for a nice delivery from Mr. JP

I've certainly learned my lesson.

I think I'll start with a set of Xenon Effect bulbs, and see if I'm happy with those... not too keen on drilling out my covers, to install an HID kit, but that'll be the next step if I'm still not happy

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
not too keen on drilling out my covers, to install an HID kit, but that'll be the next step if I'm still not happy
The covers are cheap to replace (assuming they are not too different on the 2015), approx £11 each. So you can return to stock when you sell/PX :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Bog. I'll keep that in mind

On a brighter note, I've swapped the drivers side bulb back, and removed the passenger side bulb, but my original bulb is now somewhere at the bottom of the light box laughing at me and my big meat shovel hands.

I'm giving up for tonight, and thanking my lucky stars it's not dark to/from work.

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Even Xenon type bulbs will be no better IMO.

You are removing 80% of the usable light.
Those are "Off-Road" only because they can be used legally off road or used for show

Did you not have the option of getting LED headlights?
It is expensive, but LEDs last a bloody long time and you will get that nice white light.

·
Registered
329 Posts
LED in the 2015 model is a downgrade. 2012-2014 you get BiXenon, which are amazing. 2015 on you get LED+halogen, so the high beams are still halogen. The 2015 restyling actually downgraded a lot of things, from light to seat fabrics.

·
Registered
493 Posts
but LEDs last a bloody long time and you will get that nice white light.
Has anyone retrofitted LEDs to their 9Gs?

I currently have 4300K HID in the low beam and a pair of high powered LED headlights for the high beam. I would really like to use LED as the low beam too, but I am concerned about the following:

1. Heat. I know LEDs are supposed be be cool but these high powered ones either have cooling fans and large metal heat sinks.

2. Light spread. I'm not sure how well the reflector will throw the light in front.

3. Brightness. The are pretty good for high beam, and I love the instant on but have no idea how far they will light up.

4. Glare. My LEDs in my high beam reflector glare a lot but it is a high beam reflector after all...

I would swap the LED high beams into the low beam to test but since I did all the bulb changes and knowing what a pain it is to do, I am reluctant to spend so many hours trying...

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Stick with your HIDs as I think you'll be disappointed with the LEDs compared to the HIDs.

4300k and 5000k are the best.... I very happy with my 5000k set up and the light output is amazing. I drove 1000 mile from the UK to Slovakia snd did not get flashed once, whereas I would get flashed a few times in my 2012 9g ex-GT with bi-xenon's.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Stick with your HIDs as I think you'll be disappointed with the LEDs compared to the HIDs.

4300k and 5000k are the best.... I very happy with my 5000k set up and the light output is amazing. I drove 1000 mile from the UK to Slovakia snd did not get flashed once, whereas I would get flashed a few times in my 2012 9g ex-GT with bi-xenon's.
But is the light as good now as it was with the original bi-xenon system?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Almost... Light output very similar.

Remember, I have late 2014 SR which has almost the same kit as an Ex Plus... So all I'm missing over my old 2012 EX-GT is the bi-xenon, HSS system, keyless entry and electric lumber support on drivers seat.

Only thing I miss is the look of the projector headlights and the HSS (sort of)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Almost... Light output very similar.

Remember, I have late 2014 SR which has almost the same kit as an Ex Plus... So all I'm missing over my old 2012 EX-GT is the bi-xenon, HSS system, keyless entry and electric lumber support on drivers seat.

Only thing I miss is the look of the projector headlights and the HSS (sort of)
I don't particularly like the keyless entry. If you are near the car, anyone can open it and drive if they wish.

Indeed the look of the xenon headlights is very good, I prefer them to the new ones.

Lumber support would be great to have, is it good?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah, I supposed the current HIDs are very good. Although they aren't instant on and I have to switch the AUTO headlights off because I go in and out of my car a lot at night and having them turn on every time I unlock the car can't be good for them.

But is the light as good now as it was with the original bi-xenon system?
The light output is quite amazing, great range.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, so after a few weeks of running with the Xenon Effect bulbs, I've come to realize that they're just not bright enough.

My concern is that I've read reports about some aftermarket HID kits not being legal because of the beam pattern causing glare.

With the Civic 2015 Sport's Projector headlamps, How can I know that the HID kit I'm buying is really road legal? Has anyone done a HID conversion on a 2015 civic yet?

Cheers for the help.

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
OK, so after a few weeks of running with the Xenon Effect bulbs, I've come to realize that they're just not bright enough.

My concern is that I've read reports about some aftermarket HID kits not being legal because of the beam pattern causing glare.

With the Civic 2015 Sport's Projector headlamps, How can I know that the HID kit I'm buying is really road legal? Has anyone done a HID conversion on a 2015 civic yet?

Cheers for the help.
It's not that some are legal and some are not, it's either they are or they aren't as far as VOSA are concerned.

Light pattern and colour will be tested at MOT which you would pass easily with one of our kits for example, however how likely you are to get pulled over and have a side of the road inspection of your light setup done is only something you can estimate, I'd say more chance of winning the lottery but hey!

There is also another option of LED headlights - http://www.civinfo.com/forum/lights/201433-h7-led-headlight-kit-mr-jp-fitted.html

Which Xenon effect bulbs have you tried?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the Xenon Ice White Halogen Upgrade from your place, I just don't think they're throwing enough light.

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
I got the Xenon Ice White Halogen Upgrade from your place, I just don't think they're throwing enough light.

No with Xenon effect bulbs you will find they won't through as much as performance type "yellow" bulbs.

HID kit or LED kit would be best. Or live with the dreary yellow ones :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts