2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone can help please?

My front pads need replacing and the discs are a bit lipped so I've decided to change them too. I've bought some EBC Greenstuff pads and some standard EBC discs and decided to try and fit them myself.

Removing wheel, caliper and pads no problem, but the frame around the caliper appears to need removing to allow the disc to be removed.

A mate and I have tried to loosen the 2 nuts behind the disc near the axle but they appear to be unmovable by spanners and basically any DIY tools that we can get in the wheel arch. I guess they were fitted in the factory as the discs haven't been changed and I've now done 60,000 miles!

Has anyone else replaced the front discs and had any similar problems? I'd be grateful for any tips otherwise I'm gonna have to book it into a garage for them to use an air gun I think and it just pains me to have got so far to have to pay a garage just to remove 2 bolts either side!

Cheers for any help.

Marc :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried spraying some penetrating fluid?
Thanks - yep we've tried GT85, several times, but no shifting them. :(

I've also looked at the Changing brakes detail in the wiki to make sure I'm trying the right bit, but that's only for the pads unfortunatley.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
I've not actually done this on my car, but if you remove those two bolts the disc should come off over the wheel retaining studs, if it doesn't there are two threaded holes (shown in the picture) for jacking the disc off the hub.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you look at this picture.

There are two philips headed countersunk bolts holding the disc onto the hub are these the bolts you have tried to undo?
Thanks - for your help - I've already got the countersunk screws out of the front of the discs, the issue is when you prise out the caliper as shown above it leaves the frame around the caliper which is bolted onto the wishbone behind the disk. There isn't enough clearance to pull the disc out over the wheel bolts without removing this caliper frame it would appear :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep did try shocking and using GT85 lubricant, but they just don't seem to want to move. It's also difficult to get something with any leverage in the wheel arch to move them.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Yep did try shocking and using GT85 lubricant, but they just don't seem to want to move. It's also difficult to get something with any leverage in the wheel arch to move them.
Yes I can imagine. They are probably loctited in too. :(

Good luck with it, I hope you don't have to take it to a garage now you have got this far.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
That's why I let the dealers do the brakes, they often seize up with the heat and corrosion.

A good fitting socket on the nut and hitting the handle hard with a hammer may release it. Make sure you check you are are turning it the right way as well ! Good Luck

Halfords are open at the weekend and prices are reasonable if all else fails.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would raising the car up on a ramp make it easier to get to?
It may do - I'll see if I can get hold of any tomorrow, I'll have some time. As a back up I've just got a quote for fitting only £97 inc vat (£69ph labour @ 1.2hrs) Such a waste for the sake of 4 bolts.

Got to go out now - thanks for all your replies and of course if you can think of anything else please post, I'll check again tonight.

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Good luck with it, I hope you manage to sort it.

Please post what you manage to do to solve the problem, others may well be in the same situation and would value the information.

:D

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
I've had another thought. Jack the car up as high as you can, make sure it is propped up safely and not just on the jack. This will allow you to get a spanner on the bolts pointing down out of the wheelarch and then, dependant on how high you have the car, get a pipe on the end of the spanner for extra leverage.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Get a half inch drive hexagon socket of correct size for bolt head(not bi-hexagon) and a good length half inch drive power bar.With the car secure,put some serious leverage(both arms) onto the bar.Either it will shift or shear the head.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all your replies guys.

I did try raising on ramps, but still wouldn't allow me enough room for any more leverage.

Did however manage to find somewhere to fit the pads and discs for £45+VAT so was still cheaper than Honda and now has my EBC brakes.

Will be a breeze to change just the front pads next time!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts