2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this on an FN2?

I`ve just replaced the idler and tensioner to try an fix a really nasty grating rumble noise from something on the aux belt path (noise goes with no belt on) but alas its not fixed it.
They were both a bit rough, so not wasted but the noise now must be the alternator.
Doing the old screwdriver in ear trick its definitely in that area.

So, access looks interesting! tantalisingly like it might come out the top, though I bet it wont and there are 2 bolts on the underside?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, well replacing the alternator is not too bad. Remove the metal section the bonnet latch is mounted on and you can access the bottom two bolts. With the idler pulley and tensioner removed it's just a little fiddly to pull it out the gap at the top. Loosen the headlight to get a little more room.
Just don't drop any bolts down onto the under tray!

However... It's still making the same awful noise :( I guess it must be the AC compressor? The noise is hard to trace and can be heard with a screwdriver pressed to both alternator and the compressor as well as the bracket the tensioner is on :(

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Get yourself a mechanics stethoscope and place the long piece on each component the belt touches and locate where the noise is actually coming from before splashing out on an new alternator

1 - 5 of 5 Posts