2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Maybe this is silly...but I will soon got to go to put some diesel on, and I have this doubt.

It is the same thing to reset the Trip A manually when re-fuelling and activating the option on
the on-board computer to reset the Trip A every time a re-fueeling is done ?

Which is the best method to have a record on the avg l/km (mpg)?

I'm thinking on leaving the Trip B with no reset, since I picked up the car, and doing the resets only for trip A,
when re-fuelling or when I want to know the l/km (mpg) in a specific trip.

Greetings

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is the same thing to reset the Trip A manually when re-fuelling and activating the option on
the on-board computer to reset the Trip A every time a re-fueeling is done ?
As far as I can tell its exactly the same thing only you dont have to remember to do it!!

I generally use my trip A to see how I'm doing on each tank of petrol so when I found out about the auto-reset it was great (no more holding a button in for me).

Trip B has most of the miles I've done in my Civic which lets me see what sort of MPG I've done on average. I'm trying to avoid resetting B so for any trips I want to measure I just use A[/quote]

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
If you use the Auto Reset can you still use the A for trip mileage etc. if you reset it does it leave mpg alone?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
richierich said:
If you use the Auto Reset can you still use the A for trip mileage etc. if you reset it does it leave mpg alone?
I think it will reset both ( the mpg (l/kms) and the trip milage(kms) ).

Or I am wrong ? and have to check the manual and read it more carefully...

I will try it today anyway, cause just after leaving work I will have to re-fuel. I will put the Auto-Reset ON before.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Auto Reset resets both mpg and trip distance :)

But only on A - B is left alone for both. My B will remain un-reset to show my overall mpg since getting it :)

I pretty sure it's triggered by opening the fuel cap - NOT by adding fuel.
So if you accidently pull the wrong lever when opening the bonnet...

Manually reseting A at any point also resets both mpg and trip :)

HTH! :D

PS - can't remember how to switch auto-reset on though! :oops:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think you set the auto reset function in the set up menu for the trip computer. I'll try and look up the page in the manual.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Isn't it an option in the dash menu?
Access via the i button.

·
Registered
277 Posts
MC Hammer - yes, sorry think we're talking the same thing here.

Its page 119 of the manual. Press and hold "info" button to enter customizing mode, then press and release the "info" button repeatedly to select "CHG SETTINGS" and then press "SEL/RESET". Press "INFO" until you get to the "Trip A reset with refuel" screen, press "SEL/RESET" and it should then give you the option to select "ON" or "OFF". Press "INFO" to select "ON" and the "SEL/RESET". Screen should show "SETUP ON" to confirm it has been activated. To exit customising mode press "INFO" repeatedly until you get to screen which looks like an arrow pointing out of a wing mirror and then press "SEL/RESET".

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a problem with auto reset function on my Type R... I bought the car 2 weeks ago, and the first time I went to fill my car trip A auto reseted. When I filled my R up for the second, third, etc time the trip meter didn't reset, although I did not change the setting and have also checked it - it is still ON! What could be the problem?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
I have a problem with auto reset function on my Type R... I bought the car 2 weeks ago, and the first time I went to fill my car trip A auto reseted. When I filled my R up for the second, third, etc time the trip meter didn't reset, although I did not change the setting and have also checked it - it is still ON! What could be the problem?
Might be a silly question (given that it's an R...) - but how much fuel did you put in 2nd / 3rd time round?

Needs to be at least a tenner or so for it to register.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
does it recalculate the 'estimated distance left to go before you run out of petrol' correctly?

·
Registered
20 Posts
hmm i dont know because when i saw that the trip meter did not reset i did it manually right away... did not look at other options such as estimated distance left

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
Auto Reset resets both mpg and trip distance :)

But only on A - B is left alone for both. My B will remain un-reset to show my overall mpg since getting it :)

I pretty sure it's triggered by opening the fuel cap - NOT by adding fuel.
So if you accidently pull the wrong lever when opening the bonnet...

Manually reseting A at any point also resets both mpg and trip :)

HTH! :D

PS - can't remember how to switch auto-reset on though! :oops:
Wrong TT It doesn't reset if you open the fuel cap... It's when adding some petrol in it.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
In my defense, the 'it's the cap opening' theory was posted about a year ago... :oops:

Marky - you mentioned 'not resetting immediately' - it does take a few seconds (so that you can note the previous reading?) to sort itself out.

Might be worth checking next time you fill up (won't be long in an R :wink:), and not doing a manual reset until you've checked the range etc does (or doesn't) reset itself.

The other thing which I'm guessing would be linked to the same sensor that drives the 'have I been filled up with fuel' bits would be the fuel guage needle - I'm guessing this is working :D

Other than that I'm into real head scratching territory...

·
Registered
20 Posts
hmm you might be right about the waiting... the first time i filled the sucker up i didnt even know it had auto reset function and i noticed a few kilometers away that the trip meter did reset on it's own (because i got a new car and didn't think of reseting the trip meter when i filled it up, i was so anxious about driving the beast :) )

now for the last few times when i filled the tank and started the car i immediately noticed that the trip comp did not reset and even before driving away from the fuel station i manually reset it.

I will try driving for a few hundred meters before reseting it manually.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
hmm you might be right about the waiting... the first time i filled the sucker up i didnt even know it had auto reset function and i noticed a few kilometers away that the trip meter did reset on it's own (because i got a new car and didn't think of reseting the trip meter when i filled it up, i was so anxious about driving the beast :) )

now for the last few times when i filled the tank and started the car i immediately noticed that the trip comp did not reset and even before driving away from the fuel station i manually reset it.

I will try driving for a few hundred meters before reseting it manually.
LOL - know that feeling! :D

mine has normally reset by the time I've driven off the garage forecourt.
It only takes a few seconds, but it is just about long enough to think it's not going to do it on it's own :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts