2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all you very knowledgable people :)

I have noticed the left hand rear of the car has lost its 'shine' compared to the other side of the car. When I test drove my car there was a slight scuff on it, which the stealer machine polished out. After washing my car very carefully and doing a full polish, I cannot make this side 'shine' like the rest of the car, its quite a large area say 0.5m square.

Any recommendations/ products I could use to help? Guessing buy a better machine polisher with some cutting disks or something... but I thought I would ask here...

I currently have a Halfrauds 10" machine polisher, with a brand new set of pads. Will this be suitible to restore the shine to the paintwork with the suitible products? Am planning on investing in some Poorboys Black Hole soon from recommendations here... but advise is needed about this bit.

Many thanks!

Edit: Will try and get some pictures if it will help this evening

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts
After the polish was any wax/sealant applied? Give the car a good wash & dry it. Then apply a wax/sealant & see what happens. It could be that the dealer after polishing did not apply any LSP, which would after a while make that area look dull/different to the other panels.

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
To all you very knowledgable people :)

I have noticed the left hand rear of the car has lost its 'shine' compared to the other side of the car. When I test drove my car there was a slight scuff on it, which the stealer machine polished out. After washing my car very carefully and doing a full polish, I cannot make this side 'shine' like the rest of the car, its quite a large area say 0.5m square.

Any recommendations/ products I could use to help? Guessing buy a better machine polisher with some cutting disks or something... but I thought I would ask here...

I currently have a Halfrauds 10" machine polisher, with a brand new set of pads. Will this be suitible to restore the shine to the paintwork with the suitible products? Am planning on investing in some Poorboys Black Hole soon from recommendations here... but advise is needed about this bit.

Many thanks!

Edit: Will try and get some pictures if it will help this evening
He removed scurf polishing it out or repaint it? If he repainted that side looks like he didnt match the colour.
If he didnt repaint but polished the scurf he probably used a heavy compound or sandpaper without refine it after that thats why its dull.
You will not do nothing with the 10'' its only proper to apply glazes and nothing more. It doesnt have the power to polish.
Blackhole will fill some swirls and give a bit of shine but after few washes the problem will appear again.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He removed scurf polishing it out or repaint it? If he repainted that side looks like he didnt match the colour.
If he didnt repaint but polished the scurf he probably used a heavy compound or sandpaper without refine it after that thats why its dull.
You will not do nothing with the 10'' its only proper to apply glazes and nothing more. It doesnt have the power to polish.
Blackhole will fill some swirls and give a bit of shine but after few washes the problem will appear again.
Thanks for your reply Kotsos.

Yes it was polished out, not repainted. I've tried polishing with my 10" and hand polishing but do not get the desired shine. Will post pictures later and see what you chaps think. Its not a huge problem as I'm the only person who notices, but it bugs me.

I did think it may have been done with a heavy compound.

Any recommendations for a starter MOP kit with pads etc?

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After the polish was any wax/sealant applied? Give the car a good wash & dry it. Then apply a wax/sealant & see what happens. It could be that the dealer after polishing did not apply any LSP, which would after a while make that area look dull/different to the other panels.
Wouldn't be suprised as the car wasn't polished at all when I collected it!

Recomendations for decent wax/ sealant on a budget? Duller is probaly the best word, its not hugely noticible bug irritating.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did used some Autoglym QD the other evening when I garaged and cleaned the car down, was amazed at the results for really not a huge amount of effort. But again, didn't make this area gleam like NHB should

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts
Wouldn't be suprised as the car wasn't polished at all when I collected it!

Recomendations for decent wax/ sealant on a budget? Duller is probaly the best word, its not hugely noticible bug irritating.
decent wax/sealant :worms: ask 10 people & you will probably get 10 different answers. Mine at the moment is FK1000P & VFM you can't argue as you get a massive tin of it & it can be used on your alloys as well. You do sometimes get a different shade when comparing plastic panels versus the metal panels. I had a Saxo VTR & even though it had never been re-painted or touched up there was a slight difference between the metal wind/doors & the factory bodykit.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been looking at the Autoglym HD Wax?

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
You can use the FK reccomends Shaun great sealant can be used in rims too last for ages and gives sharp glossy results.

For glaze i d recommend Chamical Guys black light witch does lovely work in black colors much better than Black hole witch is more filling glaze. Some pictures of black light in black

And does great work in open colors too

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Some nice machining work there Kostas. Pity VW didn't spray the Golf without Orange Peel.

Back to the OP, I'm actually a little worried with what you're reporting as it's possible you've struck through ie cut all of the clear coat away. This leaves a dull finish that cannot be polished and will deteriorate rapidly. If this worst case scenario is reached, then its a respray.

This might help you decide:

Strike Through Demonstration

Also page 51 here with more pics and explanation:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/images/misc/dapolishing.pdf

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
If clear cote is gone as i suspected too maybe you should give a try to opticoat. I havent use it yet but i know its permanent and will add some shine but you have to feel confident to do it because as i said its permanent

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that is what has happened to mine, although much worse than demonstrated there...

Picts to follow later :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.