2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, is it possible to retrofit the TPMS to a 2006 ex model?

If not, has anybody got an aftermarket one fitted? Are they any good? Any recommendations?

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to have the Schrader tpms kit fitted to my previous EP3. It worked very well and gave you individual tyre pressures as well as tyre Temps which was useful. It came complete with 5 sensors and the dash/window mounted receiver.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No civic had TPMS.
Later models came with DWS

Which is another type of tire pressure monitoring.

TPMS monitors tire pressures
DWS warns of deflation
Ah OK, so in that case is it possible to retrofit DWS?

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Ah OK, so in that case is it possible to retrofit DWS?

As far as I know it is software based.

DWS uses the ABS and wheel speed sensors which the car has for the VSA system.

It is why if you have an issue with these sensors you have issues with the DWS system as well

·
Registered
148 Posts
Factory fit DWS is really good in my experience, alerted me to check tyres when one of them had a nail in causing a slow-ish puncture but visually the tyre did not look flat and when checked with a pressure gauge it was only between 2 and 3 PSI down. I'm not sure if it can be retrofitted though as it is basically a function of the traction control system.

Full blown TPMS is better though as it can tell you which specific tyre has a problem, which the Honda DWS cannot. TPMS can be retrofitted to any car as far as I know.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Factory fit DWS is really good in my experience, alerted me to check tyres when one of them had a nail in causing a slow-ish puncture but visually the tyre did not look flat and when checked with a pressure gauge it was only between 2 and 3 PSI down. I'm not sure if it can be retrofitted though as it is basically a function of the traction control system.

Full blown TPMS is better though as it can tell you which specific tyre has a problem, which the Honda DWS cannot. TPMS can be retrofitted to any car as far as I know.
Yeah I know it can be fitted, you can buy the ones with the 4 valve caps and usb powered piece that sits inside the car, but how good are they? Does anybody have one?

·
Premium Member
945 Posts

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
if buying the ones with external sensors i would suggest getting shorter valve stems, as the look much nicer, i have installed one on my car it has its own little screen which displays air pressure, tyre temp, leak, monitors all four wheels, how accurate it it i dont know, about the 60 pounds on ebay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts