2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know at lot has been said about these being pointless and how you should know when to change by the sound of the revs and blah blah but today, i realised how cool they really are!

I know how the engine should sound and all but even after 5 months ownership I still get surprised by how much the engine screams at the top end - it just, keeps, going! Your eyes dont even have to drift away from the (very rapidly approaching) road but you can see the lights start to spring in! Its great! And safer too!

Just thought I'd share my thoughts! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
They come on as you get closer to the red-line. When you see all 6 its time to change!

They are good but I find that I'm more in tune with the sound of the engine telling me when to change now.

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
ive never had more than 3 on

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think you mean not more than 3 pairs come on ... that's when you're at the red line.

At least in the CTR it is.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
I think you mean not more than 3 pairs come on ... that's when you're at the red line.

At least in the CTR it is.
In the 1.8 too

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Ooops!

out of interest (re the blown up R engine thread) - what happened?

Did the rev limiter kick in (massively slowing you down very quickly), or
Did the engine scream it's head off?

Or where you simply quick enough to go "d'oh!" and whip the clutch back in :D

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Did the rev limiter kick in (massively slowing you down very quickly)

Correct me if I am wrong TT, but surely that is not possible.

Rev limiter just cuts off fuel etc.
If you mechnically turn the motor quicker it won´t stop you.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well it did scream and I was fast enough to clutch it. I wasn't pushing the throttle so the software rev-limiter didn't kick in.
Not sure the engine is also protected by some sort of mechanical rev-limiter.

Amazing how after 5 months I still somewhat have to get used to having 6 gears. Not that I misshift that often, but let's say I have to use my brain more then I was used too. One more reason to go out for a spin and learn those gears :)

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
ah ...not looking at the rev counter anymore :)......just the rev lights...
pardon the expression vicar :rolleyes: like a f1 drivers do..
so relaxing to the eyes.[smilie=tongue.gif]..
as i found out this afternoon
happy driving guys,,,,

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
no idea FWH :D

twas just a thought from a comment on the blown R engine thread - changing from 6th to 1st :(

I wondered which would give first - the engine revving itself to bits, or the wheels locking up because the engine couldn't turn them quickly enough...

not something I'm looking to experiment with, but seeing as how THX did it for us... :wink: :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts