2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one maybe noob question but I must ask :D Can i destroy engine if sometimes reach rev limiter?
Thank you!

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
the limiter is there for a reason, if it wasn't safe to reach it when the engine is hot then they wouldn't put it there.

however bouncing off the limiter will do a engine no good and will cause issues like stretched timing chains, you dont need to live on the limiter but reaching it now and again will do no harm.

Reactions: kosarkas94

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the limiter is there for a reason, if it wasn't safe to reach it when the engine is hot then they wouldn't put it there.

however bouncing off the limiter will do a engine no good and will cause issues like stretched timing chains, you dont need to live on the limiter but reaching it now and again will do no harm.
Thank you for answer.I was on limiter maybe 2-3 sec because road was wet and my revs was constantly on 8000k.That can harm engine?

·
793 Posts
no doing it rarely will not harm the engine, only constant limiter bashing will give you problems.

Reactions: kosarkas94

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't worry, like Voodoo said - ocasionally nothing will happen. Generally hitting rev limitter is pointless as you loosing acceleration and max power is @7800, but every now and then especially on loose surface you will have that.
To make you feel better i can tell you that those engines are more like motorbike engines - prepared for abuse and rev limiter is not a biggest abuse they can stand :)

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Honda's sales brochures state that they test run their engines at full speed for not hours but days. I am sure a few seconds will do no damage.

·
793 Posts
2nd to 3rd was the one that caught me out a few times, hits it so quick
Yeah same with me, and first is pointless in this weather as all it will do is spin up through the gear causing a limiter bash.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all now I feel so much better.I was on my first drag race with honda R and road was very wet and I pushed car to his limits.Now I know I can not doing race with this car,I love him very much :D

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The group N map on a Flashpro will raise your rev limiter to 8600 so dont worry about it.

The worst kind of over revs are when you change down too many gears, no limiter will help when you let the clutch out at 10,000rpm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The group N map on a Flashpro will raise your rev limiter to 8600 so dont worry about it.

The worst kind of over revs are when you change down too many gears, no limiter will help when you let the clutch out at 10,000rpm.
Thank you!You mean when you miss shift? Driving 120km/h and missshift in 2 gear.I have never done that.I only do not know why my reve was be constant on 8000 becase road was very wet,almost i do not know when to change gear I must wait sound of limiter.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The K20's not like a normal engine, it's producing maximum power just as you hit the limiter so it's easy to do until you get used to it.

·
retroppuS
957 Posts
In a way you could call it fake revs.

Basically how it sounds is whilst you have your foot on the throttle the car is obviously responding by putting power down. If the power can't be put down (wheels spinning up due to weather conditions) then the engine will assume the road condition is fine and will attempt to put the power down, thus resulting in the high revs and no speed.

Hope that makes sense. It's just how I heard it in my head haha!

As mentioned above mate it won't damage your engine as these k20s are built to be abused. I just wouldn't make a habit of it. Soon as you feel the car loosing traction, just ease off the throttle. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Revs wasn't fake, accelleration - yes :)
Forgot about getting stress about it - just go there once again and do it again :)
And for the future - just watch those yeallow lights on the left side of your speedo - when it gets closer to the end one just shift - you don't need to watch the revs, just those lights.
BTW - i bounced off the rev limiter today as well ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In a way you could call it fake revs.

Basically how it sounds is whilst you have your foot on the throttle the car is obviously responding by putting power down. If the power can't be put down (wheels spinning up due to weather conditions) then the engine will assume the road condition is fine and will attempt to put the power down, thus resulting in the high revs and no speed.

Hope that makes sense. It's just how I heard it in my head haha!

As mentioned above mate it won't damage your engine as these k20s are built to be abused. I just wouldn't make a habit of it. Soon as you feel the car loosing traction, just ease off the throttle. :)
Haha i am too scary for my car :) Thank you all now I am safe and sound :D I will off the throttle,i can not do that on drag race,I must win :p

·
retroppuS
957 Posts
Just to add...
The revs are not fake. They are 100% real.

Your engine is putting the power down to move the car. What you have is a loss of traction due to road surface
Which in return causes the revs to increase faster like they do whilst pushing the throttle while stationary.

What I wrote above about them being fake was incorrect.

·
retroppuS
957 Posts
I too bounced off the limiter today

I was too enthralled in accelerating down hill and the v tec roar made me miss shift haha!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts