Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does it do??

i am due to pick up my CTR later this week....i see on the top part of the dash there is a line on the left that says rev....i understand the vtec light will come on after 5800 or so but what does the rev line do??

does it have lights that come on when your ragging it to the red line?? or a light that comes on when you hit the limiter (bit dangerous...i'll always be wanting to make it come on):eek:

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
6 lights come on as your revs increase, u can use it as an indicator to change gears but you know by the sound of the engine when to change!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just be sure to wait 10 minutes after starting before getting the lights lit up!
technically....what damage will this do??? i know we used to talk about running in an engine....not revving it when cold etc...but really?? with engine mgmt and rev limiters these days is it really required to warm it up?? or just a myth??

·
!-!
369 Posts
6 lights come on as your revs increase, u can use it as an indicator to change gears but you know by the sound of the engine when to change!
Judging by sound will take a few days :)

First couple of days i had slight looks at rev meter to know when to change

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it wont actually vtec until its up to temp so thats a yes ;)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
a yes you should be cautious or a yes its a myth....if it wont vtec till its warm then surely thats the engine protecting itself....which means its limiter would come in quicker on older engines...which might mean theres no problem with revving it while its cold cause it way inside its performance perimeters?

no??
who can give a technical answer??

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Because warm is something like 50 degrees coolant temp, Not oil temp like I believe it should be set up as . The coolant might be warm-ish but the oil isn't and many of the engine internals have not fully expanded and the oil is not giving it's full potential protection wise.

Vtec when not up to " running" temp is potentially doing damage, wasting fuel and dear knows what else.

But its your car [smilie=gt-happyup.:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vtec when not up to " running" temp is potentially doing damage, wasting fuel and dear knows what else.
vtec doesnt come on till its at a safe temp...this is what i was asking....so....are we saying revving it without vtec being engaged is dangerous to your engine??

i'm not doubting any of you guys...you're great...i'm just confused about the fact that vtec wont engage till its upto temp....but that means you shouldnt rev it...your saying its outside its performance perimeters..i dont buy that.

but i will take your advice...lol...i'm just curious about the technical aspects of these things....
i rode my fireblade under 5k revs for 600 miles.....we know these days there is NO reason to do that at all...but its something left in the manual...and still recommended despite the engine not 'bedding' in any better either way.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
When did I say that lol

Basic principles of mechanical sympathy is don't stress a cold engine/transmission.

Just cos you can sometimes isn't an excuse lol.

Soon as the needle moves feel free to thrash it's guts pal.

·
Registered
684 Posts
vtec doesnt come on till its at a safe temp...this is what i was asking....so....are we saying revving it without vtec being engaged is dangerous to your engine??

i'm not doubting any of you guys...you're great...i'm just confused about the fact that vtec wont engage till its upto temp....but that means you shouldnt rev it...your saying its outside its performance perimeters..i dont buy that.

but i will take your advice...lol...i'm just curious about the technical aspects of these things....
i rode my fireblade under 5k revs for 600 miles.....we know these days there is NO reason to do that at all...but its something left in the manual...and still recommended despite the engine not 'bedding' in any better either way.
Why would you want to vtec the car when its cold anyway?

Its just not mechanically right for the engine, especially as the components are cold and tighter and the oil is more viscous as it wouldnt of reached temperature so wouldnt lubircate well.

Always drive conservatively on any car when its cold, and its even more important on more complex or highly tuned cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Troll

Please do not feed
why would you say that?? i've been nice and asked a very legitimate question...i'm new to this car and new to vtac...tbh i dont even understand vtec...thats why i was asking the question.

if your going to be a d*ck about things dont answer the questions i ask

1st day on here and if this is how you treat new members i wont be around for very long

·
Registered
684 Posts
why would you say that?? i've been nice and asked a very legitimate question...i'm new to this car and new to vtac...tbh i dont even understand vtec...thats why i was asking the question.

1st day on here and if this is how you treat new members i wont be around for very long

Hes just having a cranky moment ;)

I gave a fairly good explanation above, and the general consensus is to not drive the car hard until its warm. I would recommend you follow this advice if you value your cars, but end of the day its upto you as its you own it.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts

dont take offence mate they are just trying to help.

With regards to ragging the ****nitz out of your engine when cold- dont worry its fine, you are right engines these days are fine to be driven hard when cold.

Thats why the ecu limits vtec when its cold.

Go for it buddy.

Dont forget to post pics of your blown to bits engine in a few months time so the guys that tried to advise you can laugh at you and say "i told you so"

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.