2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have my double din (Pioneer f940bt) ready to be installed, I have the reverse camera, but my question is, do I just need to wire it to the reverse gear signal input of the double din?

Ive read a few posts about connecting it to reverse lights and earthing it?

Also Im assuming its the exposed black and red wires of the camera that are connected to the reverse gear input? And do I need extra wiring to do this?

As ye can tell - Im lost ha ha! Have just built up the confidence to tackle installing the double din, so this reverse camera has me a bit puzzled.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Have my double din (Pioneer f940bt) ready to be installed, I have the reverse camera, but my question is, do I just need to wire it to the reverse gear signal input of the double din?

Ive read a few posts about connecting it to reverse lights and earthing it?

Also Im assuming its the exposed black and red wires of the camera that are connected to the reverse gear input? And do I need extra wiring to do this?

As ye can tell - Im lost ha ha! Have just built up the confidence to tackle installing the double din, so this reverse camera has me a bit puzzled.
You wire it up to the reverse light for power, and an earth.
Then connect the video feed to the reverse input for the double din.
The double din will detect the camera powering on, and switch to it.

Simple :)

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Or wire the power to the option box 12v with ignition, and sense wire of the 940BT to 12v with reverse. That way you can still view the reverse camera at any point in time as well as it automatically turning of with reverse.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You wire it up to the reverse light for power, and an earth.
Then connect the video feed to the reverse input for the double din.
The double din will detect the camera powering on, and switch to it.

Simple :)
So what do I do with the black and red wires? Do they go to the reverse light/earth or the reverse gear input of the double din?

Ideally I'd like to get a local ICE installer to set the wiring up for me and once I get the double din into the dash with the reverse camera fitted - at least if I cant route the wiring or set up the camera properly I can get it done by a pro.

I think the best person to take apart the dash is a Civic owner who has read multiple "how to's" on this site. So I'd like to tackle that part myself.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or wire the power to the option box 12v with ignition, and sense wire of the 940BT to 12v with reverse. That way you can still view the reverse camera at any point in time as well as it automatically turning of with reverse.
Thanks for the reply but Id be happy enough just to have it set up to work in reverse alone!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
So what do I do with the black and red wires? Do they go to the reverse light/earth or the reverse gear input of the double din?

Ideally I'd like to get a local ICE installer to set the wiring up for me and once I get the double din into the dash with the reverse camera fitted - at least if I cant route the wiring or set up the camera properly I can get it done by a pro.

I think the best person to take apart the dash is a Civic owner who has read multiple "how to's" on this site. So I'd like to tackle that part myself.
Red goes to the +12V wire for the light. Black goes to any earth you like.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red goes to the +12V wire for the light. Black goes to any earth you like.
Cheers for that - so additional wiring is needed to hook the camera to the reverse gear signal input wire of the double din?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I installed my Pioneer F50BT a few month back and there were three main things I had to wire in for the reverse camera to work; power for the camera, which I tapped into the reverse light, Video in, which runs the length of the car from the camera into the back of the double din, and finally the signal cable coming from the double din (mine was pink). This had to be connected to 12V on reverse, which I found at the optional connector down near the pedals.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I could connect the camera to the double din (f940bt) in the video-in output, and then put the dash together and sort the camera properly later on?

It's the reverse gear input that I'm struggling with - what part of the camera connects to that?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
So I could connect the camera to the double din (f940bt) in the video-in output, and then put the dash together and sort the camera properly later on?

It's the reverse gear input that I'm struggling with - what part of the camera connects to that?
None, connect this to the reverse pin of the option connector or run a long wire and tap into the reversing bulb power connector (Brown is +)

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
As you need to run a reverse wire to the Pioneer, I honestly think you are better using the option 12v Reverse to the stereo and option 12v Ignition to the camera. The cable runs are going to be the same, you won't have to splice into your rear lights and you'll be able to view the camera at any time.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
None, connect this to the reverse pin of the option connector or run a long wire and tap into the reversing bulb power connector (Brown is +)
Reverse pin of the what???? Christ! I think I'll just put in the double din and leave it at that.

I appreciate the replies but I am beyond lost. I just want to connect the camera, put the dash back and get an expert to sort the camera.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
HI guys,

sorry to revive this old thread, but I am about to wire the reverse camera to my pioneer avh 280bt double din. I understand the reverse camera get its power from the reverse light wire once I splice in to that and i also understand that the yellow RCA cable plugs directly in to the back of the head unit and displays the picture, but my headunit has a reverse input signal wire coming of it.

Question is do i need to wire this up or will it just work with me connecting the camera to the reverse light for power & yellow RCA cable to the headunit? Will the headunit automatically detect that I have selected reverse and displays the reverse image on the screen?

Any help is extremely appreciated

Zak

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Hey dude, the reverse input signal is what tells the headunit to switch to the camera when you select reverse so yeah you do need to connect it.

In the drivers footwell you can take a 12v reverse signal from the Honda option connector slot (if you search the forum you'll find plenty about the option connector and which pin you need for a reverse signal)

Hope this helps 👍

Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

i have just finished fitting my Reversing Camera

just thought id share what i did. i found an old head unit wiring loom and removed one of the female pins from this. fits on the optional connector perfectly i also put a little heat shrink over the top just incase.

im using the wireless connectors so one end is connected to the -/+ reverse light and the other end connected to ground and the top left pin of the optional connector. works like a dream!!!

radio on all good, stick in in reverse and camera pops up!!

cheers
Lenn

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I have a Pioneer AVH head unit and for wiring up the reverse camera i am going to power it by:

Red into the fuse box options connecter (power on with ignition, same wire as my dash cam)
Black to a convienent ground point near the fuse box (same as my dash cam)
Yellow RCA to back of head unit
Reverse wire from headunit to options connecter in the fusebox (powers when reverse selected)

Hopefully this will work ok

Hardest part is getting the wires through to the front of the car!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

Red line of the camera should connect to +12V. But this voltage should be under your control. Generally, users prefer to connect it to reverse lights. however you can also wire it till under steering wheel and you can put a switch over there!
And also you can get a electronics that recognize both the switch status and reverse lights so that you can see your back whenever you want and whenever you go reverse direction.

Black line of the camera should connect to chasis of the car. However if you prefer to connect it with the same point near +12V line, in this particular case black line of reverse light, you make good job, because of EMI/EMC issues.

You alsa have video signals. I think you know what yo should do with it.

Another signal line to the Double din, "reverse active" signal, coming from camera.

Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts