2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
First post as I've just purchased a Honda Civic 59 plate 2.2 CTDi last week, so far so good! I've had a good read through a couple of guides on the forums and worked up the nuts to install a DD headunit, as I really needed BT. I've just received a JVC KW-M730BT, waiting for the conversion kit to turn up. Since I'm tearing up half the car apart, I thought I'd get a rear parking camera aswell, since they cost peanuts and I have a "video in" on the headunit.

So a couple of questions...

Any recommendations on a reverse camera? Seen a couple of for £10/£15, wide angle jobs. Some are fixed and others adjustable.

The headunit has "reverse" cable which i believe allows me to use the reverse camera without putting the gearbox in reverse, but not sure?

Do I need a rear camera with specific wiring due to the headunits "reverse" cable?

Any assistance is most appreciated, thanks.

Danny

·
R-398
702 Posts
Depending on how you power your camera the reverse camera wire usually switches to the video input on the head unit when you put it in reverse. So for example if you take the power for the camera from the reverse lights the unit will switch over when they engage(ie in reverse)

If you power it from the 12v socket in the boot so its always on then you won't need to hook it up to that reverse wire just manually switch it to your available video channel to see whats going on at the back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on how you power your camera the reverse camera wire usually switches to the video input on the head unit when you put it in reverse. So for example if you take the power for the camera from the reverse lights the unit will switch over when they engage(ie in reverse)

If you power it from the 12v socket in the boot so its always on then you won't need to hook it up to that reverse wire just manually switch it to your available video channel to see whats going on at the back.
Hi Barry,

Thanks for your response. That sounds like a good idea, I'm assuming the Civic powers off the 12v cigarette ports when the engine is off? My Ford Focus never did, so it would drain the battery to it's death (as a mini-fridge in my wife's Skoda once did).
I'm just a little confused about the headunit wire that says it's for the reverse cam? This is separate from the "video-in" lead.

Also, not specifically directed at yourself of course, I noticed the reverse cam will need to be off-centre as the boot handle is dead centre, is that likely to be an issue?

Thanks again

·
R-398
702 Posts
Hi Barry,

Thanks for your response. That sounds like a good idea, I'm assuming the Civic powers off the 12v cigarette ports when the engine is off? My Ford Focus never did, so it would drain the battery to it's death (as a mini-fridge in my wife's Skoda once did).
I'm just a little confused about the headunit wire that says it's for the reverse cam? This is separate from the "video-in" lead.

Also, not specifically directed at yourself of course, I noticed the reverse cam will need to be off-centre as the boot handle is dead centre, is that likely to be an issue?

Thanks again
The reverse wire lead on the headhunt once powered enables the unit to switch to the input your cameras video lead is plugged into. Like described once your car is in reverse the power to the reverse lead on the head unit automatically switches. You still need the camera plugged into the relevant video in socket. If like mine its a single wire with no way of plugging anything into it it might be a case of splicing into it with the same cable. I only have experience with a few pioneer units that Ive had in my cars.

Yea the outlet in the boot is always on, I opted to power my camera by tapping into the reverse lights so that it was used as intended. There is a good how too on here that shows you how to wire up the camera and how best to route the cables. The camera has to be off centre due to the location of the boot handle but thats neither here nor there as you position the camera to suit your viewing needs. I had to point mine more to the floor so that the reverse guides that were overlayed on the head unit actually made sense and the markers portrayed the distance more accurately

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reverse wire lead on the headhunt once powered enables the unit to switch to the input your cameras video lead is plugged into. Like described once your car is in reverse the power to the reverse lead on the head unit automatically switches. You still need the camera plugged into the relevant video in socket. If like mine its a single wire with no way of plugging anything into it it might be a case of splicing into it with the same cable. I only have experience with a few pioneer units that Ive had in my cars.

Yea the outlet in the boot is always on, I opted to power my camera by tapping into the reverse lights so that it was used as intended. There is a good how too on here that shows you how to wire up the camera and how best to route the cables. The camera has to be off centre due to the location of the boot handle but thats neither here nor there as you position the camera to suit your viewing needs. I had to point mine more to the floor so that the reverse guides that were overlayed on the head unit actually made sense and the markers portrayed the distance more accurately
Got it, I understand now. I've pulled the PDF off the how-to guide and it looks like some fun :laugh2: Thank you very much for your help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha indeed, alot of the ebay cameras claim to be nightvision but the majority don't have LEDs.....can you recommend one at all? Thanks

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I just picked a nice small one off eBay that could be well hidden. Wasn't major money, I think about €30.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts