2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Just joined the forum after getting a 2007 Honda Civic 1.8 Petrol EX iShift about a month ago! Really like the car and everything about it.

Found an issue that wasn't present when I bought the car. My reversing lights have stopped working all of a sudden and do not come on when I select the Reverse gear.

I've checked Fuse 15 & 19 under the dash and Fuse 16 in the bonnet, and none have a break. Checked both of the lightbulbs and they are fine as well.

Not sure what to do next as the lights still do not come on. Thinking of taking it into my local Honda garage to see if they can sort it. However, thought it best to first get help from the online Honda gurus out there!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I had this problem on my Mondeo ST and to fix it I had to replace the reverse light switch on the gearbox. It was a fairly cheap part and only took me about 45mins to sort out (it only involved unplugging a wire and then swapping out the switch, but was deep in the engine bay). I'm not sure if the Civic would have a similar part?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'm starting to wonder if it could be the reversing light switch or possibly some wiring gone bad.

I've got a quote for £50 for a mechanic to come out and replace the switch. However if I want the fault diagnosed first, its an extra £40 for 1 hour labour.

Could cost £90 total :crying: not money I want to be spending as christmas is approaching!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Turns out it is the reversing light switch. Was able to get it replaced at a local garage for £70. No more reversing light issues :smile3:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think I've got the a same issue, just with my 2012 mk9. Yesterday I noticed the reversing camera didn't work once, so put it back into neutral then back into reverse and it was ok, so thought nothing of it, however today both the camera and the reversing lights aren't working :crying:. In terms of the camera the screen just remains on whatever was on the screen (e.g. audio etc), so doesn't appear to be aware that it's in reverse - which made me think switch/sensor/relay?

Any idea where this switch is located on the Civic? and can it be replaced DIY etc and if so, how is it removed?

How did it know my warranty ran out just over a week ago?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I've got the a same issue, just with my 2012 mk9. Yesterday I noticed the reversing camera didn't work once, so put it back into neutral then back into reverse and it was ok, so thought nothing of it, however today both the camera and the reversing lights aren't working :crying:. In terms of the camera the screen just remains on whatever was on the screen (e.g. audio etc), so doesn't appear to be aware that it's in reverse - which made me think switch/sensor/relay?

Any idea where this switch is located on the Civic? and can it be replaced DIY etc and if so, how is it removed?

How did it know my warranty ran out just over a week ago?
Hi, did you get it sorted? My 2012 reversing lights and sensors have stopped working today, any idea where the switch is in the engine ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi

Sorry, I should have reported back on the outcome. Yes I did get it sorted and it was the reversing switch which is screwed into the top of the gearbox on the right hand side of the engine, looks like this:-

In the end I got the Honda dealer to replace it which cost £47.10 including fitting. I'm pleased to report that the problem hasn't returned since.

Hope that is useful and good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts