1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reversing camera.... £12

Video in cable... £25

Grazed knuckles from trying to feed wire through endless pieces of trim... £0

Knowing fellow members have helped you save £500 on getting the Honda OEM camera installed... PRICELESS :D

Finally I have my reversing cam fitted and the cable correctly routed. Big thanks to Bog for the cable, how to guide and words of wisdom via PM. Also shout to mel2401 who posted some really useful pix to illustrate the difference between routing a cable on the 3dr Civic vs a 5dr. Cheers buddy!

Bearing in mind I have next to zero in terms of tech knowledge and working with electronics. As the old saying goes, if I can do this mod then frankly anyone can.

But is the camera any good? Well, at the moment I need to adjust the camera angle down a bit because I can't see kerbs when I start to get close - they disappear off the bottom of the screen - but there's a plate in my camera kit I can use, so this is easily solved.

For avoiding static objects - parked cars, walls, posts etc - it's extremely useful and given the limited rear view on the Civic and it's rounded shape at the back this could well save me some annoying scrapes and bumbs in the future.

The picture quality isn't as good as I had hoped for, but given the fact I got a cheapy FleaBay cam I really can't grumble. Could always upgrade in the future. But it does the job for now.

And there we have it. Some pix to follow, plus I'll put one up in a mo showing a parking manouver.

Once again, if you are tempted by one of these but unsure about the install just go for it. Take your time, ask questions if you need to (Bog thanks again for being so obliging with my queries!) and enjoy saving yourself an awful lot of cash.

Cheers

Nick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Camera in action

Reversing onto the drive and up to the garage door...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Reverse parking

Quick demo of pulling up to the wife's Jazz...

Compare what you see on the cam to what you see over the shoulder / in your rear view mirror :eek:

Difference is mad, and how many times have you reverse parked and then got out of the car only to see a massive gap at the rear??? I know it used to happen to me all the time because judging distance out the rear screen is very difficult indeed IMO...

Cheers

Nick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that looks well cool mate, great job.
Thanks Colin, it looks pretty discrete on a black car too - nicely tucked under the lip of the light panel. It's going to make my life much easier that's for sure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts