2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm about to scream and explode!!

I have a 62 plate (9th Gen) Civic with Sat-Nav as standard and I'm replacing it with a Kenwood unit.

I can't get the reversing camera to work.

I've managed to get a socket from RS Components to make the wiring easier, BUT..... I can't make the damn thing work.

I've wired it up as so... (original plug wire colours in brackets)

1 - Vcc + (White)
2 - Vcc Ground (-) (Green)
4 - Video Ground (Red)
5 - Video Signal (Blue)

I apply 7.9v from the new Kenwood unit, but on checking when it's all connected this drops to 3.3v.

On pin 7 there is a red and silver wire called Camera ADPT from some wiring diagrams I've seen. It's described as "Control Signal for Rearview Camera". Do I need to ground this or apply 12v to it?

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Make sure you have enough battery life. Drive your car for a bit. Then park up see if the reverse camera works. Thats what happen to my car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply. However, it's not a question of it not working - it already works perfectly with the original Sat-nav unit in my car, it's just I can't get it to work with the new Kenwood.

·
4,233 Posts
Does anyone ever reply to anything on here? I've had 89 views and not one reply!
Perhaps no one has had experience of connecting a reversing camera to a Kenwood. Neither do I, so I am just 'best guessing'.
Re the 'control wire' Try grounding it then 12V. It's almost certainly to switch the Kenwood into rear camera mode. Do you not have the instructions with it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi M8TJT. The reversing camera is factory fitted and supplied by Honda, so sadly no instructions. I just wish I could find a wiring diagram and see what that indicated.

I'll try applying 12v to the control wirre and see what that does.

Thanks

·
4,233 Posts
No, I meant for the Kenwood.
There is at least one post detailing the pinout for the OEM reversing camera. I found it when I was looking for just that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ah sorry. All the Kenwood has is Cam + & Cam -

There is a phono connection for the reversing cam and a reversing control wire, which when connected to 12v puts the Kenwood in rearview camera mode and displays the parking guidelines.

When not under load the voltage out of the Kenwood is 7.9v but when immediately connected to the Honda camera, (whether in reverse gear or not) it drops to 3.3v - and no image on the Kenwood unit. It's this I can't seem to solve.

It's this control wire on the camera I'm curious about

·
4,233 Posts
I would suspect, as do you, that 3.3V is not enough to fire up the cam anyway. Is the 7.9V output from the Kenwood actually designed to run a rear cam, or is it just a fairly high impedance switching voltage of some sort? (It sounds like the latter, as it drops to 3.3V when under load). Perhaps the Kenwood is expecting the camera to have a separate 12V (or some such) supply?
Does not the Kenwood connection diagram make this clear?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well i have kenwood double din and fitted aftermarket reverse camera from ebay. But i drove FN2 so i shouldnt imagine be any different.

have u connected the cam to the purple wire which is label reverse at the back of your double din?? And to the one of the video phono? If the cam not connected to it then odv the reverse not goin to be powered up to display on your double din. Hope this helps

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,395 Posts
Silly suggestion but does or is it an option that somewhere in the kenwood software a option to turn camera on/off?
It might be off by default. No harm in looking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts