2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my wifes new car last week - Type R GT in Crystal Black. Fortunately she allows me to drive it! ;)

Anyway, here is a short review after one week of ownership.............

Overall, we are very happy with the car. It looks fantastic - especially when clean. The Civic is a great looking car - unlike so many cars on the road today which seem to look the same as each other. I think that the body kit on the Type R makes the Civic look even better :)

I have just done some mixed driving so far, I use the VTEC zone often, but I dont thrash the car.

What I like best -

The looks.
The front seats are very comfortable - more so than I expected. Even my elderly mother enjoys sitting in them!
The car is very spacious, for a car that looks much smaller from the outside. Two big adults are quite comfortable in the back.
The carrying capacity with the rear seats folded down.
The design of the dash is excellent - everything is clear.
The fun that comes from using the VTEC now and again.
The handling. The car has next to no body roll and grips the road really well.
The quality - no problems so far, no rattles, squeks or anything!
My wife really likes the ipod fitting and bluetooth (an extra).
The running costs seem pretty decent for a car with this much performance.

What I like less (even though I was aware of it before buying the car) -

Rear visibility. I am still getting used to peering over the spoiler! Also I am very glad that I had the rear parking sensors fitted as the rear pillars also obscure rear visibility.
The hard ride. The car does bump a bit on anything less than a smooth road. I am happy that I stayed with the 18" wheels as I expect that the ride with 19" wheels is even harder.

What I am still getting used to -

Most of my cars, including my current one are RWD. I notice that putting quite a lot of power through the front wheels does tend to pull at the wheel a bit. Probably something that I will get used to in time.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Nice review. :)

You'll get used to the rear visibility, I never give it a second thought now. The ride on 19" wheels is very slightly harder but not much at all.

Great to hear you're enjoying the car. :D

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Pleased to here you both really like the car.

You'll get used to the rear visibility, I never give it a second thought now. The ride on 19" wheels is very slightly harder but not much at all.
Likewise i never think about rear visibility. But i am often thankful when someone is driving behind with badly adjusted headlights or a 4x4. The rear spoiler is just at the correct hight to stop you from being blinded.
Also i have the rear parking sensors but find that i dont really need them as the wing mirrors are so big.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also i have the rear parking sensors but find that i dont really need them as the wing mirrors are so big.

My dear wife needs them..................:rolleyes:

They were Number 1 on her list of preferred extras. :)

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
The fun that comes from using the VTEC now and again.
The handling. The car has next to no body roll and grips the road really well.
You sum up just what I love about this car.

The bits I have quoted made me get off my bum and decide to give the OH a lift into town to go shopping rather than letting her get the train. Just reading those words made me want to go and drive it - not that I need an excuse of course.

Greate write-up [smilie=ebil-thumbu:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You sum up just what I love about this car.

The bits I have quoted made me get off my bum and decide to give the OH a lift into town to go shopping rather than letting her get the train. Just reading those words made me want to go and drive it - not that I need an excuse of course.

Greate write-up [smilie=ebil-thumbu:[/quote]

Thank you sir :). Overall, it must be the best performing (practical) car available for the price currently :cool: The bits that you have quoted sum up the main reasons to buy this car!

·
'DRIVE' your Car!
221 Posts
I get my CTRGT on the 1st of Sept - i am simply struggling to wait that long!!!!
Wouldn't it be great if they could give you a courtesy CTR until yours arrives LOL

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that you guys need to spend as much time as you can just visiting your local dealership and sitting in a Type R! A good newspaper, sandwiches and coffee can help the time pass.........;)

·
'DRIVE' your Car!
221 Posts
I think that you guys need to spend as much time as you can just visiting your local dealership and sitting in a Type R! A good newspaper, sandwiches and coffee can help the time pass.........;)
Hmm can i make engine and brake screeching sounds...or is that likely to get me thrown out? :police:

·
Mondeo Mann is here!!
1,333 Posts
A mate of my dad's has just picked up his new R8. While he was waiting for it to be built, they gave him an RS6 as a courtesy car. How mad is that lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm can i make engine and brake screeching sounds...or is that likely to get me thrown out? :police:
LOL :)

No you should be OK. Just put your hands on the steering wheel and close your eyes. Most Honda dealers are very understanding :)

Can you do the VTEC sound yet? ;)

·
'DRIVE' your Car!
221 Posts
Hey i'm still new to all this VTEC, only driven the CTR once on my test drive. Ask me again after the 1st of September.
What i have learnt though is i'll need to practice the VTEC sound, not sure i can stretch my lungs long as long as the revs!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey i'm still new to all this VTEC, only driven the CTR once on my test drive. Ask me again after the 1st of September.
What i have learnt though is i'll need to practice the VTEC sound, not sure i can stretch my lungs long as long as the revs!
LOL :)

Well, as part of your therapy, here is a pic of (roughly) how your new car might look ;)

Attachments

·
'DRIVE' your Car!
221 Posts
WOW, is that your very own baby? It's sweet. Because it belongs to another i'll keep the kleenex locked in the drawer ;)
So the latest CTR does come with HID/Washers as standard then?
Is the Crystal Black a better/different looking finsh to NHB?
Do you also get auto-dimming mirrors?
Questions Questions LOL

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
WOW, is that your very own baby? It's sweet. Because it belongs to another i'll keep the kleenex locked in the drawer ;)
So the latest CTR does come with HID/Washers as standard then?
Is the Crystal Black a better/different looking finsh to NHB?
Do you also get auto-dimming mirrors?
Questions Questions LOL
Yep! That is my wifes new car :)

I am still learning about the car, so my answers may not be 100% correct.

I assume that is has the HID, although I have not tried them out yet. Yes it does have the washers as standard (and an ipod connection).

Well the Crystal black looks the same as the Nighthawk black most of the time. Only in bright sunlight can you see the difference. Both paints have metallic flecks in them. The CB ones tend to be multicoloured (red, green etc), whereas the NB ones have a much more bluish tint. Below is a pic of my wifes car (CB) with my younger son's Jazz (NB). Pretty similar really (unless you get very closeup)?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts