2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having now owned my Type S for 1 month I thought i would post my review on the car.

I picked the car up from my local dealer in early Feb (thankyou Horizon Honda in Christchurch).

I have just come back from giving the Civic its first real test, a 400 mile round trip to Cardiff and back. This car is simply the best car I have driven by far. When I sold my previous car which was a Honda Accord Coupe 3litre V6, I was a bit worried that I had done the right thing. Well this trip has certainly made my mind up that ive made the right decision.

After driving for 2.5hrs I was still sat comfortably, not aching at all. Im 6ft 2 and large build but this Civic has so much room. Even with having the panoramic roof theres no problem with head room. In fact theres quite a bit of room between the top of my head and the roof. The seats are the most comfortable seats I have sat in. They hold you in position perfectly and they look great.

The ride is great and in my mind is noticeably improved when compared to the 5dr version. Not saying the 5dr is bad but you can feel the improvements of the uprated suspension. Going round sharp country roads and bends the Civic hung to the road like it was on rails. I have found the ride to be just fine in terms of hardness/softness and is certainly not harsh as claimed in some reviews. In my mind its perfect.

Brakes are very powerful and certainly have faith in them.

Having now used the Sat Nav alot I find its great to use but obviously has its faults as do all sat nav units. But its still far nicer and easier having it all built in than having to keep lugging round a tomtom or whatever.

At the moment im averaging 40mpg around town and it went upto 43mpg on the run, but the car has only done 780 miles so far so is still being run in.

I have not had any faults at all with my Civic and all I can say is that this car is the best car out there in its league and I would recomend anyone who is thinking of buying a Type S to go and place your order now as you wont regret it. Its the best Civic money can buy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nice review....glad to know that I have done the right thing!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for your review.

I'm also deciding between 5 door and type-s.
The thing that worries me the most is suspention. I'm afraid that it will be too hard for me. Could you please comment on how is the drive on more poor roads.
Did you maybe test 5 door and what is the difference.
In our country it's not possible to test type-s in the moment.

Thank you.
Br

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your review.

I'm also deciding between 5 door and type-s.
The thing that worries me the most is suspention. I'm afraid that it will be too hard for me. Could you please comment on how is the drive on more poor roads.
Did you maybe test 5 door and what is the difference.
In our country it's not possible to test type-s in the moment.

Thank you.
Br

Thank you.
Yes i test drove the 5 dr for about 2 hrs before driving the type s the next day. Both the 5dr and the type S handle well but in my opinion the Type S was noticably more stable and went round corners quicker and easier than the 5 dr.

The suspension is fine, i feel they have the balance spot on. Its not the softest car you will ever drive but its by no means the firmest. I have just driven round Wales which has some pretty poor roads and it was fine. I really dont think you will have a prob with it. My car has the standard 17" wheels not the 18" wheels.

I would choose the type S as i feel its the better car and you get more for your money.

·
Registered
102 Posts
lubej, Having done 1,500 miles in my Type S GT, I find the suspension just fine. It was a bit unerving at first feeling most bumps and uneveness of the road, but a few miles on, this feeling just becomes normal. The extra road holding that the 3 door has over the 5 door is small but noticable, the car just seems to stick to the road, I now love driving in country lanes!

The one thing that is perhaps anoying about the 3 door, apart from the shear size of them, and their weight, is the fact that the windows also open up much further back, a problem when it's raining and water comes in practically the length of the cabin.

But is there such thing as a perfect car, this one is comes close.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah well wanted to at least give it a month of use before reviewing. I want to next get some decent pics taken but the weather is not letting me!!!

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
I will be happy if my 1 month review is like yours
(even though it is a 5 door ;) )

while to go yet will have had the car a week come Friday
no probs so far

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank for your comments on the suspention. Yes I will test drive the car in April and I'm sure I will be satisfied. Now I own seat ibiza sport 1.9 tdi 110 hp year 2000, which have quite hard suspention (in my opinion) and it's fine for me.

I was asking this question because I want to have it for everyday drive to work (100 km) and not only for sporting enjoyment.
Is the suspention for 18" tyers different as for 17" ?

Thanks.
Br

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
BR

suspension is the same irrespective of the Tyres :)

5 door Civics have one suspension type
Type S uses same suspension up front, but rear is 20mm wider. From comments in here, suspension may be different from 5 door - or the 20mm difference has a lot of impact! Honda don't mention any other differences...
Type R is also 20mm wider than 5 door at rear, but also uses completly different suspension parts :)

However - the will be a vast difference in 'ride' between the smallest available (16") wheels, and largest available (19") ones, as the tyre wall flex also has a part to play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts