2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Big Civic fan
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking around for a DAB solution for the civic, and i came across the revo DAB.

Anyone experienced one of these?

Anything to say on the DAB subject?

I used to use DAB in my current car, but it could only be used with other kenwood radio's, so that was sold.

Website to refer to:-
http://www.revo.co.uk/digital-radio/specs.php

I would get one, but doubt the honda standard radio has RCA input, and i expect the quality would be poor using the FM modulator.

·
Big Civic fan
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Added a link to the thread above, and i renamed the product to what it actually is. It's called REVO, not nevo.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Added a link to the thread above, and i renamed the product to what it actually is. It's called REVO, not nevo.
Thats why I couldnt find any details on it when I googled it yesterday.

Looks good, but at the moment I don't really see a need for DAB as I don't really listen to the radio that often. Maybe I should look into DAB more, as at the moment I don't know much about it :)

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I probably wouldn't use it as I don't listen to the radio much at all really; usually just stick my mp3 cd's on.

Even if I did use it I'd want it via aux-in rather than the aerial socket though.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Nevo is an IR tool you get on PDA's so you can control IR gadgets, great when you are in a busy pub and don't want to listen to the football, just turn the volume down. Although the best is if you find somewhere where the Aircon is IR and you know the brand is supported.:D :D

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Nevo is an IR tool you get on PDA's so you can control IR gadgets, great when you are in a busy pub and don't want to listen to the football, just turn the volume down. Although the best is if you find somewhere where the Aircon is IR and you know the brand is supported.:D :D

Must admit, done that. Isn't it a good laugh watching everyones faces :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
revo can be a bit fiddly

I'm about to pickup a typeS on friday and already have a REVO in a mzda 323 sport.

Revo reckon it can be easily transferred from one car to another but I might have to get a newer more powerful aerial from their accessories (£30).

from my experience in the mazda, you get a poor "stickon" that sticks inside the windscreen and that has an FM transmitter/RCA box that sits behind the head unit and you just select the FM frequency when the unit is switched on. Sound quality is -disapointingly- just the same as FM but the station variety is obviously greater.

using the stick-on aerial and FM transmitter I had a bit of interference sometimes but the main stations are always available.
If I get the better aerial I should be able to use the connect2 to plug in the RCA cables as mentioned in other posts which should help clarity.

The main gripe I have is the way its been installed to be hard wired to the battery power even when switched off in standby . Theres been a few occasions where i didnt use the car over the weekend and had a flat battery on Monday morning - I now remove the unit from the cradle everytime.

I stillplan to try and remove and then fit it myself (i asked the dealer for a quote to fit it and i'm expecting over a hundred - you know what theyre like) but the REVO recomended fitter might get a call - they were £45 to fit it to the mazda and did it in 20 mins. if I have the better aerial it might be worth it (the aerial for the DAB unit is meant to fit between the Headunit and the existing co-ax connector).

finally I wuld recommend getting the remote that they offer as well - is much easier than stretchin to where the fitter decides to install it (right in the corner on the driver dash for me)

hope it helps - I'll add more when i remove/install it on the typeS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
picked up the type S last week and eighteen hours later some teeny - driving barefoot as they do - skidded into
the rear bumper. its not a biggy but irritating to say the least!

Anyway the DAB - REVO have sent me discounted powered aerial but I wondered if anyone can give some answers to the following....
1. the Aerial needs to be grounded in the badly translated instructions it says to use the screws on the passenger sun visor - I take it this is possible in the Type S? feeling around I can feel there is a cover for the screww but cant see it yet.
2. it also says to hide the powere/coax cable down the sides of the windows by removing the plastic AFrame trim - now my TypeS has side airbags will this cause a problem? like blowing up as soon as I pop the plastic out?

The good thing is the Connects2 box is in the post so the excellent guide will come in useful. I may have to ask questions again when I need to wire it up (what red and black connections can use )

as an aside - the car was an uncollected new with 57 mile on the clock but had the bassworks and Ipod connections done. Any idea what I should put the ipod connector (with manual) on e-bay for?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I did quite a lot of research into these and they always seem to come out as a poor cousin to the DAB ICS100 Acoustic solutions unit Acoustic Solutions | ICS100 In Car DAB Digital Radio | Convert FM car radio to DAB Digital Radio so I went for one of those. I have had it fitted (you need a connects2 unit as well and it works a treat. Shame the Revo unit looks better.

Mine is fitted with the 'black box' in the glovebox

and the control unit to the right of the steering wheel

works very well :)

I also found the internal stick on ariels are rubbish, you need an external ariel to get good recption, I used a glass mount on the rear screen (I know I know one of the things with the Civic is the no ariel) but I reckon it looks fine

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
First Civic pic with an ariel.
Looks ok.

Might want to try that myself for my analogue radio with bad reception.
where is the ariel on a civic

·
Registered
246 Posts
The Civic ariel is the array of wires in the rear screen above the heated rear windscreen ones. If you look closely there is a definate gap between the two sets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to admit I wasnt too happy with the stick-on that came with the REVO in-car - I was OK while driving around built up areas - too and from work - but as soon as i went outside the area - past the first field - I lost the signal strength. Anyway I'm willing to give the powered stick-on a chance to redeem itself - its the one they started to give free with the unit 2 months after I bought mine - thanks REVO :rolleyes:.

Does the external window mount ariel damage the seal? I know theres a magnetic and a stick-on external ariel. I think I'd go for side fitting stick-on/magnetic rather than rear windscreen.

Connects2 box arrived this morning so I'll have a go at the weekend. on inspection the Honda dealer has left little helpful markers (off the screwdriver they used) for where to get the side off the dash from when they put the ipod connector in - isnt that good of them :mad:

Does anyone have any pointers for my question about the A-frame plastic covers - I'm just worried if I pop one off the air-bag will go off? fnarr..

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have to admit I wasnt too happy with the stick-on that came with the REVO in-car - I was OK while driving around built up areas - too and from work - but as soon as i went outside the area - past the first field - I lost the signal strength. Anyway I'm willing to give the powered stick-on a chance to redeem itself - its the one they started to give free with the unit 2 months after I bought mine - thanks REVO :rolleyes:.

Does the external window mount ariel damage the seal? I know theres a magnetic and a stick-on external ariel. I think I'd go for side fitting stick-on/magnetic rather than rear windscreen.

Connects2 box arrived this morning so I'll have a go at the weekend. on inspection the Honda dealer has left little helpful markers (off the screwdriver they used) for where to get the side off the dash from when they put the ipod connector in - isnt that good of them :mad:

Does anyone have any pointers for my question about the A-frame plastic covers - I'm just worried if I pop one off the air-bag will go off? fnarr..

The ariel is a stick on, i.e. base sticks to the inside of the window and the ariel outside above it. I would have considered side window mounting except that I have the 5 door but with a 3 door I reckon side window would be better, certainly easier to run the cable as there's no opening hatch to worry about.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I notice from the product description that this unit also has an aux input for an mp3 player - so this solution could also be used to connect my ipod?

£140 fitted seems good value when you factor in ipod connectivity.

Can feel the moths trying to burst out my wallet on this one.

Chris

·
Registered
712 Posts
I notice from the product description that this unit also has an aux input for an mp3 player - so this solution could also be used to connect my ipod?

£140 fitted seems good value when you factor in ipod connectivity.

Can feel the moths trying to burst out my wallet on this one.

Chris
yep it does a normal 3.5mm jack plug so works with any MP3 Player, doesn't show track details etc but it works fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts