2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not talking about thrashing the engine all the time, but I do like to have fun with the torque on the diesel every now and then. My question is, do these diesel engines/turbos have a high tolerence for sudden changes in acceleration? Im guessing the 2.2 diesel engine was not designed for performance like the v-tec. Im slowly learning how to get the best performance out of the engine, and not taking the revs near the red line as the performance seems to drop off after 3.5X1000 revs, but occasionally i do see the rev LEDs! Saying this, I think I remember reading somewhere that said that diesels do benefit from being pushed every now and again. Any input would be great as im still a bit of a novice when it comes to modern diesels. Thanks

·
Mondeo Mann is here!!
1,333 Posts
The diesels these days are built to withstand very high tolerances. The 2.2 loves to be pushed every now and again. I find for the best acceleration make sure the revs are about 1800-2000rpm, just where the turbo kicks in, and floor it. It brings a smile to my face and scares the doggy doo out of everyone else in the car. Change up before 3500 rpm to keep the power on. With regards to the red lights, on mine they start (2 LED's) to come on about 4000 rpm and then its 2 LED's for every 200 rpm with all 6 on at 4500 rpm i think just to make sure you don't get near the red line.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Like I said, still looking at getting the best of the engine, and really love the power available at higher motorway speeds. In particular the point when the 50mph temporary speed restriction for roadworks ends on a motorway. Those petrol cars just cant keep up, even when im accelerating in 6th!

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
i would say the diesel is made for performance!

all engines, diesels in particular benifit from periods of high rpm as deposits can build up within the engine and exhaust system. there is a rev limiter on engines so its very very difficlut to damage an engine even if your revving it right up to the limiter all the time.

·
Mondeo Mann is here!!
1,333 Posts
Thanks. Like I said, still looking at getting the best of the engine, and really love the power available at higher motorway speeds. In particular the point when the 50mph temporary speed restriction for roadworks ends on a motorway. Those petrol cars just cant keep up, even when im accelerating in 6th!
I know what you mean, its fun to sit side by side with a petrol and just watch them go backwards very quiclky. Especially when you can hear them revving the nuts off it and yours is purring along :). I agree with ritchie, the i-ctdi seems to like the revs

·
Premium Member
914 Posts

all engines, diesels in particular benifit from periods of high rpm as deposits can build up within the engine and exhaust system. there is a rev limiter on engines so its very very difficlut to damage an engine even if your revving it right up to the limiter all the time.
...but easy to damage the gearbox and/or clutch if you throw in the wrong gear @ the wrong revs, so while it is attractive it's not for those who have freshly switched from a petrol. Translation: if someone thrashes in 3rd at 3500 revs in a petrol it's OK, in the diesel he may soon complain about his gearbox...

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
I had a drive in a 1.8 at the weekend and it felt really flat..even when I redlined it and got the vtec screaming it just didnt do anything.
The diesel engine is a great unit, it thrives on torque and is detuned anyway so giving it the beans will clean out some soot rather than adversly affect it..It can be tuned to 200+bhp after all!!

·
Registered
103 Posts

True indeed, but please remember, never rev-up if engine is not at required temperature [smilie=shake.gif][smilie=shake.gif][smilie=shake.gif]

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a drive in a 1.8 at the weekend and it felt really flat..even when I redlined it and got the vtec screaming it just didnt do anything.
The diesel engine is a great unit, it thrives on torque and is detuned anyway so giving it the beans will clean out some soot rather than adversly affect it..It can be tuned to 200+bhp after all!!
And blow your gear box & clutch too .....:(
A remap to 170 hp is the best combination on power and torq / reliability

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on cars but I must say the diesel engine in my Civic is brilliant!
I don't do much motorway driving, except to and from the airport, so for me the best feeling has to be in 3rd gear! At the right revs it pulls something shocking!!
Really is just a briliant car!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2.2 Type S and trying to pull away from the lights(in a burn up with a Golf) the limiter cut in and seemed to de-activate the power (all red lights on). I had to quickly put it into second before the power came back. Im hoping that there is not somthing wrong as this has happend on quiet a few occasions. However once into third it seems to pull awafairly quickly. It will be interesting to here if this has happend to anyone else.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Don't even bother trying to race any half decent car at the lights with the 2.2, it can often be quite embarrassing. If, however its a long stretch of road after the lights, you will likely pull away when in 2nd. I am not surprised the rev limiter came on if you tried to race the engine like a petrol. Dont bother with it get it into 2nd asap (i tend to change before 3500revs) and then wave goodbye when in 3rd!

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
At the Dartford Toll booths 3 lanes to one, the CTDi is pretty good. A new shape M3 had me last week unsurprisingly!!!! It did sound good when he gave it beans:D

I find the 2.2 very good on slightly damp roads as the VSA is better than Vauxhall's traction control I have had in the past and I can show A4 2.0 TDi's my triangular exhaust pipes!!

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Don't malign the 1.8 i-VTEC !

On a trip to the UK over Easter this year, I quickly discovered that my bog-standard 1.8 EX could show all VW \ Audi 2.0 tdi engined vehicles my triangular 'back-ends' ...

That was from Newcastle (via Edinburgh) to Glasgow - and return ...

Of course, it might just have something to do with my Norwegian plates being "immune" to UK speed cameras ? ...

Mind you, I do like a good turbo-diesel myself, it's just that you can't get a 2.2 EX in Norway (diesel only available as Sport) ...

Anyway, only the petrol engine gives off that lovely "Honda-howl" ! ...

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
You have to be pretty sure that the other cars are actually putting their foot down as well to claim a victory on pulling away, not sure I would always be sure unless I was really really flooring it myself and just about staying in the running.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is no problem revving the diesel you wont damage it but eventually there is no point anymore as the engine is electronically governed and the power curve drops off suddenly.

Think of it like this you use the gear stick to place yourself at the crest of the torque tidal wave to "surf it" whereas in modern high revving gasoline engines you fanatically push it back and forward to "row the boat"
:p

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Post from "emmaloula" ...

Yeeppp ... definite \ deliberate 'competition' on several occasions ...

A left-hand drive Civic with Norwegian plates attracts interest ! ...

And yes, I was only "barely" creeping ahead, as a rule ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts