2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to use the cigarette socket for charging devices while I'm at work (IT support from my car) - does anyone know if it's fairly straightforward to rewire the socket so it doesn't switch off when the key is removed? Or is that something I should get an electrician to do?

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
Will that not just drain your battery?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i needed some permanent charging too, for my beeper alarm, so i just used a multi charger wich u normally plug in cigarette socket, i cut the cable and used the 2 wires on fuse pannel & some ground.

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Be careful taxing the battery, it's a relatively weak point for the derv Civic's.

I admit, in an idea world that it should be okay, but we wary of all the reported battery issues.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up. I'll get them to check the battery health as well when it goes in for its service.

·
Administrator
21,173 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Holy crap, those have improved since the last time I looked. That's an awesome idea!

If that charges by USB then it can recharge itself off the lighter socket while I'm driving, and charge my kit while the car's off. It might only need taken into the house for a full charge once a month.

[edit] Aaaand I've ordered this - 25600mAh battery for £20, plus some dual-lock pads to fix it to the side of the passenger footwell.

Swees® 25600mAh 3-Smart-USB Power Bank Portable: Amazon.co.uk: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41sK-BYOrYL

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Holy crap, those have improved since the last time I looked. That's an awesome idea!

If that charges by USB then it can recharge itself off the lighter socket while I'm driving, and charge my kit while the car's off. It might only need taken into the house for a full charge once a month.

[edit] Aaaand I've ordered this - 25600mAh battery for £20, plus some dual-lock pads to fix it to the side of the passenger footwell.

Swees® 25600mAh 3-Smart-USB Power Bank Portable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Give us an update when you've been using it for a while, gonna have a look at something similar when ever I get my car back :)

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
No, I think you will find it is ignition live only.

Unless you tap into the 'option connector' under the dash and run a new feed to it.

Careful tho as Civic's are notorious for flattening batteries even without any extra drain.

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts

Swees® 25600mAh 3-Smart-USB Power Bank Portable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I really hope that 25.6Ah pack really is 25Ah
Judging by its size it would hold 8 18650 cells and dividing the amp hour by 8 we would have to have 3100mAh cells in side this thing arranged in parallel

3100mAh cells are not cheap.

So it is just me being weary about power banks with huge capacity claims

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I really hope that 25.6Ah pack really is 25Ah
Judging by its size it would hold 8 18650 cells and dividing the amp hour by 8 we would have to have 3100mAh cells in side this thing arranged in parallel

3100mAh cells are not cheap.

So it is just me being weary about power banks with huge capacity claims
it uses 2 li poly cells which are more or less the same size as the case
if you look at the reviews somebody has taken the top off and photo'd the insides

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
You could also use something like this if you wanted to power a dashcam whilst you leave your car somewhere where it might get bumped.

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
You could also use something like this if you wanted to power a dashcam whilst you leave your car somewhere where it might get bumped.
If the dashcam uses +5v yeah It will work, Just need a Type A to Type B mini or Type B micro cable.
If your dashcam uses +12v you can find +12v powerbanks on the bay

1 - 18 of 18 Posts