2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently drove a 2006 Civic ES Diesel whilst my car was in for a service. I was very impressed (.) with the ride and handling and am now thinking of buying one. However, I wonder if the car would handle just a little bit sharper with 17" rims (and associated tyres) without compromising too much of the ride? (The ES currently comes with 16" rims)

Have any of you compared a Civic with 16" rims to 17s?

Incidentally, I'm not really interested in the 'bling' factor - just how it feels and behaves! (In line with Potsy's comments about his 17s feeling better than the demo car's 18s, I presume that the 18" rims will be a bit too much for my liking.)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
The car handles best on 17s. The 18s were a little bit choppy (and contribute to the to the press saying the ride is bumpy - they always give em the 18s), the 16s are fine, but definitely better cornering on the 17s.

I've driven all three at length (ie more than a week)... so well placed to comment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcomes and the replies folks!

Basegreen: sorry to read of the difficulties you have encountered with your Civic. Little consolation I know, but your experiences sure have provided some exhaustive research to help the rest of us!

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
deejayh said:
Thanks for the welcomes and the replies folks!

Basegreen: sorry to read of the difficulties you have encountered with your Civic. Little consolation I know, but your experiences sure have provided some exhaustive research to help the rest of us!
This is true. I hope that my experience will help people out somehow -- I can deal with it all better knowing that :)

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Didn't like the 18" here (car was very scatty on an uneven road) but the 17" work very well indeed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Choppy Ride ?

Hi , Is it just me, or has anyone noticed that the jiggly ride is improved by having passengers ? Has any one tried playing with tyre pressures ? ( 17" standard Sport wheels ) The " sporty" ride is my only niggle, I will probably get used to it !

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Hello and welcome, not had may passengers in the car, not a full load anyway, my old 307 has a firm ride so I guess I didn't really notice, did feel the 18's were a bit too firm for my liking though.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Yes - the firm ride is a consequence of the light (when empty) rear on the relatively firm torsion beam rear suspension. The torsion beam has to be quite firm with lots of anti-roll effect to work well, and the car is very nose heavy (esp the diesel). Weight in the back will improve the ride and maybe the balance, but will reduce the grip available (more roll, more inaccurate wheel placement on the road from the trailing arms).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dirty wheels

Did any one expect the metal plates that surround the brake discs to help keep the alloys free from brake dust ? I was mistaken !!! :shock:

·
Registered
40 Posts
On my sport ( I presume other models are the same ) there is a pressed steel disc or back plate that that fits close around the circumference of the brake disc :?

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
mike222 said:
On my sport ( I presume other models are the same ) there is a pressed steel disc or back plate that that fits close around the circumference of the brake disc :?
Yeah I know that bit but didn't know why it was there. Stop brake dust build up?!?!?! never on mine :D

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Must be the material they are using for the brake pads. I've just spent the last hour cleaning my alloys front and rear, and they were caked with black brake dust! The dust was baked on hard!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Just washed mine for the 2nd weekend in a row, thought I'd get away with just sponge and carwash like I used last week but already got a small buildup of black spots in the corners on the 17" alloys that wouldn't budge with my sponge/finger.

First use of my Meguiars All wheel spray and the trusty toothbursh already! :)

Still hasn't got it all off perfect though...

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
ride and handling

I have an 2.2es on 16" wheels and have just told the dealer about the better ride when there was some weight in the boot
the demo i tried was on 17" wheels and seemed a better ride

But it is a great car to drive

The only vehicle available without a wait was the one i bought
It had most of what i wanted as standard

1 - 16 of 16 Posts