2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at the rim protectors on flebay like the gator ones that are like plastic and go around the edge of the wheel to protect your alloys. Has anyone used them? They look a bit cheap and I just wondered if anyone has put them on their car.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
I've on other threads here, and also other forums, as I've thought about these as well.
Some have said that they installed them, but didn't really protect the wheels as they didn't feel the kerb before the protector was ripped off and the alloy damaged.

I'm not certain of how well they mount. Another thread has mentioned the protector flying off on the Motorway - not ideal.

These are mounted by being jammed in-between the alloy and the tyre?
Any risk of breaking the seal during hard cornering losing a bit of air?

Another I'd read jams a razor blade type edge into the tyre - could be wrong. This is a high-stress part of the tyre IMhO and surely that will weaken a potential weak spot?

I've just thrown my thoughts into the pot, possibly unfounded.
I decided just to be more careful parking!!
Then I caught the kerb for the 1st time in 3 years - was so annoyed I refurbed the alloys!! LOL! (True!)

Al.

·
mmmm bacon
638 Posts
I used the alloygaters on mine, they did protect the rims from kerbing but they collect brake dust, and the paint flaked off when I removed them, tbh, you are better off just being careful and keeping your distance from the kerbs.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I had alloygators put on my mrs tigra. Best thing i ever did. a scuffed gator looks better than a kerbed rim. i have known in the past for some to pop out on bad road surfaces but only mainly on 4x4s with low profile tyres. You do need to keep an eye on them and check your pressures often.
Only a good thing if you kerb it a lot. No harm in being extra careful. Fork out for an expensive refurb that will be enough to make you extra cautious. Or if your wheels are badly scuffed already and you feel like the same is going to happen get them fitted and cover it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts