2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been made aware that there are companies that sell spacesaver wheels on sites like e-bay that are not just the wrong size for the car, but are actually very dangerous if fitted[smilie=sad.gif]
If the spacesaver does not fit correctly over the hub of the wheel all of the weight of the car is taken by the five screws that hold it on and, should even one of them shear, the rest will fail very quickly causing the wheel to fall off.
Not recommended when going down any road but on a motorway very likely to be fatal.[smilie=unhappy-ang:
There are pictures on e-bay of a Mazda spacesaver wheel that, it is stated, fits a Honda Civic 2006-2011 and is shown apparently fully fitted. However if you look carefully you can see that the wheel is not fitted over the hub and therefore very dangerous.[smilie=shifty.gif]
I don't know how many of these are in peoples boots waiting for that rare time when they are needed, (yes it happened to me, hit a pothole and tire blew!) but I believe there are many unsuspecting families out there who's lives could be in serious danger.

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
This is why you do not buy tires off ebay or any other online store unless you known what you are doing.

The space saver should be 135x80 inflated to 60psi and should be fitted to a 16" wheel.

If you are unsure of which tires you need go to a store that sells them and ask them for their advice.

Average family's do this because they want the tire to be fitted, balanced and get a wheel alignment done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks Grayfox, I'm just concerned that there are a lot of families out there that could be putting themselves in serious danger and wanted to highlight the issue.:(:(
I don't think the companies in question are intent on selling dangerous items just for a profit, [smilie=nope.gif]but this sort of thing raises serious health and safety concerns.

Personally I think that H&S is way too "big brother" these days, you can't cross the road without some busy body checking to see if you've looked both ways,:worms: but serious issues like this should be looked into and stopped.:police:

:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.