2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else’s Civic seem to think that 80mph and 90mph are acceptable speed limits to display on the dashboard?
Mine does!
Driving along the motorway Matrix set at 60 and my car is displaying a road sign to the top left of my speedo. In which is the number 80?
Alternatively the other day driving along local road at 40mph which then dropped to 30mph and my car went from displaying 40 to displaying 90!!!
Local dealer has no idea why and apparently neither do Honda? Neither have have heard to them before, must just be mine then????

·
4,360 Posts
Local dealer has no idea why and apparently neither do Honda? Neither have have heard to them before, must just be mine then????
Your local dealer may not have done, but Honda tell lies about knowing about this sort of thing.

80 and 90 are perfectly acceptable pretty much everywhere except UK and USA:surprise:

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
When you've been here a while you get to know 'common' problems when threads get larger with the #metoo posts.

On numerous occasions I've queried 'common' problems with a dealer who always reckon it's the first they've heard of it.

Remember the early Connect issues with the continual reboots, that was analysed and fixed as a data to processor overload issue.

When a salesman was trying to sell me a 2016 Civic he swore blind there were no Honda Connect issues at all, very robust unit.........then a friend in the same Service dept took me to one side and told me the truth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s booked in at my dealership tomorrow. They are keeping it till the issue is resolved!
Wonder if I’ll ever see my car again?

I believe it’s miss reading road signs but why don’t they all do it if that is the case? The courtesy car I had before and after buying this car were all Civics 10G with the same RSR system and I didn’t notice them doing it. I will however be paying close attention to my courtesy car this time.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Your car is running their latest development, rather than recognition system, it's the traffic sign interpretation system. Automatically adds 20 to any advisory speed limits posted ;) :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
Presumably it's based on a camera lens and just a tiny bit of dirt or a scratch may affect what it sees.

One of my arguments against the safety of autonomous cars, especially when they aren't new from the factory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your car is running their latest development, rather than recognition system, it's the traffic sign interpretation system. Automatically adds 20 to any advisory speed limits posted <a href="http://www.civinfo.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" >:)</a>
If only that made it legal! ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No matrix signs on M1 tonight and no incorrect speed limits displayed.

But the 1st half hour of driving was awful. Bloody car alarm kept going off while I was driving. Really high pitched beep coming from boot area? Nothing I did stopped it and then after half hour of driving it just stopped!!

Told em to keep the bloody thing and give me my jazz back ?

Got excited when they put me in a H-RV. But that soon died, it’s a petrol, got to be a 1.3l as there’s no power. It leans like the piza tower on bends and the gear change seems short and rustic. Hope I’ve not got it too long I want my civic back. ?

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
It seems to me that car technology is leaping ahead beyond competency of what manufacturers can robustly deliver. NCAP are pushing too hard for their 5* requirements.

This business about having to have the system recalibrated after a new windscreen, GPS wandering off into fields, stop/start - will it won't it.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Yes mine has done this in the past, i think its down to how visually the sensing camera can detect the signs especially say the sign is next to an overgrown hedge, but has been known to take sign post readings whilst driving past slip roads on the motorway when the speed limit is shown at 40 but no actual limit on the motorway itself, but its common sense really not to just rely on it anyway.

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
Exactly, you can apply common sense and realise immediatelly it's made a mistake.

As I mentioned before though, once they want computers to take over would the car want to rapidly brake from 70 down to whatever speed it's misread.

·
4,360 Posts
Looking out of the window works pretty well for me.
As the current limit, even if it is correct, is not displayed for long before you get the double dash, I find it less than useful. The only time it keeps it displayed is when there are repeaters that 'keep it topped up'.
Be a shame if you had that 'speed limit' limiter on and relied on it when it miss-read a 30MPH as 80MPH. Needless to say, that is not a 'feature' that I use either.

·
4,360 Posts
Well its an efing stupid requirement because it doesn't work reliably. Or Honda's implementation doesn't. I can't see any manufacturers being 100% accurate though.
If you set out in a 30, then it shows (--) until you pass a limit sign. Pointless as there are no speed limit signs inside a 30 or de-restricted zone.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I’ve also noticed that the matrix type variable speed limit signs on the M25 are misread by the system, 60 as 80. Other times it misses signs, and even on occasion works perfectly. It’s completely inconsistent. I don’t think it adds any value.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
my 9gen gets a bit funky with signs. usually misses completely or reads them as low - there's part of my commute where somewhere in a 40zone with 30 on exit slip road it's picking up a 20. maybe 1 in 10 it'll read the sign, and about 75% of that it'll come up as a 20.

it's rare i'm in a matrix zone but i dont recall issues around Birmingham m6/m42.

9gen also sees side road limits. if this is the best honda can do, then i think we're fairly safe with driverless cars for a while yet. Even satnav limits i've seen wrong more times than i'd like.

much like the rest of the tech on cars, i dont rely on TSR being accurate. Yes, use it as a guide or an aid if you miss a sign.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,128 Posts
Just ignore it and drive as you should. Part of my job requires me to set up vision systems/smart sensors or whatever you want to call them on factory equipment.

Change in ambient light, master image difference or just dirt on lens has a massive effect on what how accurate they are. I'm constantly setting them up again and again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts